New Video Course: Build an app like Uber/Postmates and submit it to the App Store!

I’m excited to launch the newest course I’ve been working on! OnDemand: Build a mobile app like Uber/Postmates using Bubble and PhoneGap.

One cool thing, which I’ll talk more about in another post. To make this course truly code-free, I built a code-generator that packages up your Bubble app into the zip file needed to send to Phonegap. And it’s free for anyone with a CFS account, no subscription needed. :slight_smile:

Back to the course. With 10+ hours of video content, here’s what you’ll be able to do by the end:

• build a landing page with Webflow that hooks up to SMS for notifications.
  • create a mobile app MVP with Bubble that uses GPS to deliver on-demand products/services.
  • integrate Stripe and a web admin dashboard to monitor orders and collect payments.
  • create reviews and even primitive navigation functionality for drivers.
  • deliver your app to the App Store using PhoneGap and CFS Mobile Code Generator.

On-demand startups are everywhere, and this course shows you everything you need to know to get your idea into a functional MVP on the App Store in just around 40 hours. You can sign up for a plan here starting at $39/month (with discount) - you can get 20% off any plan by using the code “cfsforbubble” at checkout. Just click the rocket icon to reveal the secret coupon area.

Would love to know, what challenges are keeping your Bubble app from being a native mobile app?

2018 update: Code-Free Startup has been acquired by Zeroqode :tada: - any questions can now be directed to @ZeroqodeSupport or support@zeroqode.com

6 Likes

I’d say the number one thing stopping me from using Bubble to make mobile apps is the lack of offline access. For Joyful Literacy, we’d need our teachers to be able to use the app offline and have it sync when they regain connection. Having an online-only experience doesn’t help our customers much, but we are just one example.

Also, feels slightly weird to keep calling it “native mobile.” It’s a hybrid app, using Cordova or Phonegap to wrap it, not generating Swift or Java code.

2 Likes

I agree, it would be very nice to have some level of offline access in the future.

At work, we use a mail service on desktop that does not have offline access, and while disorienting at first, it seems that everyone is now used to it. When I think about an app that does not have offline access (Pandora Radio) vs an app that does (Facebook Messenger)…definitely better UX to have some offline cache, particularly around messaging and communications.

Can anyone comment on what backend requirements would be involved to enable Bubble-apps to have offline access?

1 Like

Interesting points. I agree that some offline capability would be great to at least allow the user to view data even if the app can’t capture new data while offline. My guess is we’d need something like PersistJS https://github.com/jeremydurham/persist-js to access the client-side storage in the browser. Any ideas @emmanuel on if this is possible?

I don’t know, That’s something we’ll look into when we’ll look at native as it’s closely related.

Hey guys,

@emmanuel I`ve been cracking at this for some time and found a few ways it could be done.
Does all of the data saving fall back to AJAX or are there some things that purely run through websockets implementations?

The reason why I`m asking is because Offline.js is caching AJAX requests and syncing when back online. (Offline.js – Handle your users losing their internet connection like a pro)

Offline.js is a library to automatically alert your users when they’ve lost internet connectivity, like Gmail.

It captures AJAX requests which were made while the connection was down, and remakes them when it’s back up, so your app reacts perfectly.

It has a number of beautiful themes and requires no configuration.

@brentsum For persistent storage in the current year I would recommend this instead of persist: http://brian.io/lawnchair/

In a few months time I will need to have both of these integrated, if someone wants to help speed that up, please get in touch.

2 Likes

@gurun thanks! Will definitely check out lawnchair, and Offline.js looks amazing. I love that it has the offline alert at the center of its functionality, and then remakes the AJAX requests.

2 Likes

Brent, I’ve signed up but do not see where I can use the code-generator that allows me to use phonegap? Can you please point me in the right direction?

Sure thing! It’s at http://go.codefree.co/bubbleios

1 Like

Is it posible to implement this by my self for a bubble app?

Here is a good link on how to make an app like Uber, it has a lot of good points on how to approach Uber type apps and how to build on-demand economy apps.

Update: instead of using the Bubble to Phone generator, I’d recommend following the instructions for DropSource or GoNative in my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1a1Ll_Ek0

Hi - I can’t seem to get past lesson 20 on your on demand app course.

Hi, I was considering using bubble to make an on-demand type of application. I’m wondering how well bubble can support a complex application of the on-demand type. Can anyone who has used this course speak to specifics?

Rodrigo from https://bluflame.xyz here

It depends of your user case but I have made a lot of on-demand apps for other clients with really good results :slight_smile:

If you have an specific question I will gladly try to help.

As far as app complexity and limitations, here’s what most students (and I) have found with building an on-demand app:

• As far as complex logic, app screens, functionality: Bubble really has no limitations, all the major features of an Uber/Postmates app can be built.
  • The biggest limitation is getting the app to work smoothly on mobile devices. For example, integrating push notifications (some students are using SMS notifications as a workaround), building a driver portal with GPS, etc.
  • It’s a bit more difficult to build well for mobile with Bubble because your users will have less tolerance for a slow app. So playing around with optimizing app logic, boosting capacity, etc, is needed.

@brentsum makes a few good points here, especially about getting your app to work on mobile (after you thought you were done, hah!) and optimizing it for speed and performance. I’m experimenting with boosting capacity myself right now.

Hey guys!
I just developed the first Bubble app identical to Uber!
For those who want to take a look: