Page load time affected by too many popups?

I’m wondering if having multiple popup elements (each with 2-3 groups) will slow down page load speed? I have approx. 25 popups for various purposes.

If these popups are not visible on page load, and are only visible in specific circumstances, will they slow down overall page load speed? If they have an effect on load speed, is there a more efficient way to handle this?

Thanks

Slows it down drastically, popups load on load so you’re essentially pre loading massive amounts of data that’s not needed.

1 Like

Popups should be standardised. The content layout of the variations of the popup should be the same, just the dynamic data should change.
This is beneficial for two reasons

1. Decreases data download on page load
  2. Makes it much easier to change design & UI/UX of the popups. You wont have to scramble to change the elements on all the different popups, you just have to apply changes to one set of elements on one popup.

Functional/complex popups can ofc be a different popup element.
However i will say that its best to avoid functional popups. When i was starting off with bubble i was using functional popups for so many different things. It is actually better UI/UX to put the desired functionality on a normal group and hide the rest of the page.
Popups should generally only be used for confirmation/marketing purposes.

3 Likes

++

For example, a ‘Delete’ popup with a state ‘deleteClicked’ yes/no to detect when the popup is clicked

Reuseable element property for the text content

On the parent page, do when ‘deleteClicked’ is yes → delete whatever you’re deleting.

1 Like

The text doesn’t necessarily need to be stored in the database.
Database is powerful, but database is slow :joy:

There are many ways to go about standardising popups.
You could store the texts you want to display in a condition and use custom states to cycle between the conditions.
EG. have a state on the popup called ‘mode’ or ‘tab’ and use that to select what you want to display in the popup.
The condition would only be evaluated when the popup is visible so it helps with page load speed. However the main benefit is standardisation & development speed imo.

My favorite way to go about popup standardisation is actually to use Option Sets.

Database is powerful, but database is slow :joy:

Option Sets is the less powerful but much quicker cousin of the Database.
Check out the forums for a more formal explanation.

Lets say you have a popup which always has an image + title + text + (optional) button text + (optional) button action.
Create an Option set which is called Popup Mode and has fields for each of the above mentioned features.
The popup should have a datasource equal to the Popup Mode option set, and then you use the type to fill out the popup content dynamically.
Use conditions on workflows (Popup Datasource = Desired Optionset) to trigger the right workflow.

1 Like

Exactly. You can even link popup screens to answers as well or have urls associated with each button.

Big advantage of options is that the option sets are consistent across all versions unlike a DB record. Big disadvantage is option sets have no privacy rules and are loaded on each page (even when not used)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.