Password protected site?

Is there a way to set a single password to unlock an entire site? I understand how to set up the workflow. The question is how to preselect a password that serves as a default password for the site. How do I assign a default password for the site?

1 Like

We don’t have such a feature yet.

Jason,

Can you help us understand what you are trying to achieve? We might be able to suggest alternative solutions - Bubble is very flexible.

Agree with George.

You could, for example, protect the whole site with an admin userid and password. And then share those.

@Jason I’d also encourage you to look at reusable components. You can create a Repeating Group with the age filter, save it as a reusable component, and then use it in all your pages. If at some point you decide to change the age from 16 to 18, it automatically updates across all your pages!

1 Like

How do I protect the whole site with an admin userid and password? I cannot find that in the documentation. Thanks.

We don’t have this feature, but you can redirect users to index when they’re not logged in, and only show other page after they entered a password.

My question is around security. Will my site allow anyone to register a uderid and password? How do I manage the fact that there is sensitive information within the site that I only want approved viewers to see. It seems like anyone can enter a user name and password and then they are logged in.

Only if you expose a sign up feature to your users, which you don’t have to. 2 ways to do this:

1. create an account for your trusted users in the Data admin panel
  2. create a page that checks that the user is you (your email), where you can create accounts for other people.

Thank you emmanuel. I think this will work. Where is the data admin panel? Any docs I can reference? If not, no worries. Thank you!

Go to Data Tab -> App data section.

And see this https://bubble.io/reference#Interface.DatabaseViewer

Hi Emmanuel,

I am working on an app for which both the data and some of the page info is sensitive. A fully password-protected site is key for me, like for Jason (and I suspect many other prospective developers). I have followed your suggestions, but am at a loss: I see nothing in

about how to create a trusted user. Also, what do you mean by a page that checks whether a user is you by your e-mail? Anybody could enter my e-mail, shouldn’t that page itself by password protected? Is there an example? Any more detailed instructions? Thanks!

I’m trying to understand a little bit more about the problem you’re trying to solve. Here’s what I’m reading:

1. You don’t want people to be able to sign up for an account
  2. You want to hand-select and manually register the people that have access to your app
  3. You want to make sure ONLY those people can see anything other than a generic “you don’t have access page”

Is this accurate?

2 Likes

Exactly right.

What I’ve done is create an admin page with a group to add a user. Run a workflow that creates an account for somebody else > create a temporary password > email the user their user name and password.

On page load > when current user isn’t logged in > show login popup (with access to signing up removed)
Hope this helps

3 Likes

That’s the way I have done it too.

1 Like

Sounds like the suggestion @raymond put forth is how I would do it as well. Interesting problems!

1 Like

I also added on the ability to suspend (block) a users account for what ever reason. On page load > user status = suspended > navigate > page “suspended” with a message on it as to the reason for the suspension.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the kind assistance. It works!

One suggestion: now you have to add this hack to each individual page. This is error-prone and cumbersome. Perhaps worth adding an option to the general settings that allows you to make a private app truly private? (NB the status of that terminology is currently confusing, as it is not really private, page-wise). One should then be able to override the password-protection for selected pages, such as the login page.

1 Like

Hello @emmanuel ,

Is this password protected feature already implemented or planned?