Apologies for the delay, so you were right there was a minor bug with the preload option, it was being ignored for some reason so I’ve fixed that, tested it and it’s now working again. I’m in the process of finishing off the addition of a video recorder element, so once that’s all done I’ll push the update for you, probably tomorrow.
With regards to Vimeo files, they’re a bit of an odd one compared to how other formats play.
You pretty much have 2 ways of playing a Vimeo file. The first way is where the MP4 version of the file is retrieved and fed into the player (this is what you’re using based on your screenshots). The second way is allowing Vimeo’s own player to take control and play it.
Both options come with pros and cons really, whilst the first method has to retrieve the MP4 version of the file using an alternative service, it can occasionally take longer than expected. Once it has the file though, it’s then stored in a cookie to prevent subsequent calls trying to retrieve it again. There wasn’t an easy way to retrieve the MP4 version of the file, not without having a Vimeo PRO account where you can get at that file information directly using their API. I’m pretty sure this is Vimeo’s answer when playing through HTML5 players.
The second way is to select Yes to the option called “Use Vimeo player”. This invokes the Vimeo plugin and allows for Vimeo files to play directly within their own player. It’s nice and quick and just works, there shouldn’t be any delay either. There are however some major drawbacks with this approach! It uses outdated code (4 years old roughly) because the plugin itself isn’t maintained anymore because of various changes to Vimeo’s terms over the years. If you use this option, some actions may not work with the player. This might not be a problem depending on what you’re using it for but it’s something to be aware of. I wasn’t going to add this for a long time until the need came due to it being possible to set privacy settings which made it impossible for the first option to work.
Once I’ve pushed the update, try with the preload option of ‘None’ and see how it performs. I don’t think there’s much I can do to help with the delay but for the last couple of days there was issues with the proxy service I use to retrieve the MP4 file so it’s possible you’re delays were due to that problem. That’s all working again now so see how you get on. I did test your link you put up and it was almost instant for me but I know it’s not always like that and I am running the “preload” fix too.
I’ll put a post up on here once the update is ready anyway and I’ll have a look to see if I can improve the speed in other ways.