Referral program questions

I’m trying to set up a referral program where:

1. My users share a referral link with a friend.

2. My users receive a reward when their friend signs-up to the web app.

I think I’ve figured out step 2 and beyond (attached image) but I haven’t figured out how to create the initial referral link which I think should look like:

https://www.website.com/referree_sign_up?referrerid=zksuaOGc6t0%3D

I’ve seen quite a few forum discussions on similar subjects but none that have pointed me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

@bens - I just built a referral program and here is what I did to allow referral links to be shared:

a) create a referred id and save it to a field (i called it src) using the “Calculate Formula”, then “Generate random string” option (see screenshots below)

b) choose the length of the random string that you want for your id (notice how bubble changes the phrase to “Calculate RandomString” when you do this.

c) Generate the actual link that will be clicked (I stored it in the same table)

3-Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 4.53.54 PM

I stored the random string separately (in a field called src) so that when the visitor lands on my site, I can search the table and identify who actually sent that person.

d) Lastly, send the link by email or SMS to the friend

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Great solution @jagdish_bajaj
I seem to have it working as intended. The detailed explanation probably saved me a day or so of blindly stumbling around. Thanks!

You’re most welcome @bens - glad to be of help.

2 Likes

@jagdish_bajaj Thank you for sharing such a detailed response, this is so helpful.

1 Like

Can you share workflow of how you detect if the referral code is valid or not ? I seem to be stuck at that point.

I am stuck here.

@tristan.adlington - glad to be of help.

Sure. Going to elaborate on what I described earlier in this thread:

1. Created a thing called Partner, which stores stats on links for the referral partner. Also contains a list of PartnerLinks, which is another thing.

PartnerLink looks like this:

1. When a partner account is created, I create 3 PartnerLinks records, each with its own random string and store the string (field named src) and also the entire link that is clickable (field named link)

1. When the partner sends the link to a friend and that user clicks on the referral link, I search for the random string in the PartnerLinks thing to locate the Partner who sent that referral.

So, in my case, if the search comes up empty, then the referral code is invalid. I hope this answers your question.

2 Likes

@jagdish_bajaj I am still a bit confused on how to do the search for the validity.

My data structure is like this

And the code that is generated/shared by a user is saved under Refer Code field. The workflow that is being followed is

Sorry but I am still struggling to check the validity. What have I not setup properly?

It seems that you are updating “Refer Code valid” to “yes” without checking if the code was found in the search. If the input Referral code’s value is not empty, your code as shown, will always update to “yes”.

So before you change the user’s Refer Code valid, do it “Only when” – the current workflow thing’s value is not empty.

Does this make sense?

Yeah. That is the main problem. It’s not checking that.

I added the Only when condition and now it is marking every code as Invalid (the default setting is invalid).

Thanks for bearing with me!

No problem, will help if I can.

I looked inside the app and using the debugger, I tried to Check Validity using the code HIMANS but the search is turning up empty, even though a user exists with that code. There is a Privacy rule on the User thing which may be preventing the search from happening. Try changing the Privacy rule to allow other users to search, or temporarily remove the rule to see if that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s now working :slight_smile:

Is there a way to use the user ID as the referrer ID in the URL?

Also how do you have any screenshots you can share on the second part of the journey - how to register the new user as a referred user.

Thanks and hope you are well!

Yes you can use the user ID . I think the reason why @jagdish_bajaj hasn’t used it is user ID is very long.

Easiest option would be to a text field as referral ID in the registration form.

That makes sense.

Can anyone explain the steps that need to happen when the new, referred user signs up?

I presume you use the ‘get data from URL’ action to match them to the user who referred them?

That’s exactly right. Get the referral ID from the URL and do a search for that ID to match the user who referred the new sign up.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.