Sending parameters on WordPress to Bubble app

Hi,
I’m a beginner with Bubble and I’m in the process of creating my own platform to sell my training and applications.

Here is the background:

• I want to keep my landing pages on WordPress
  • I have already created my catalog on Bubble with a search and when you click on the button to find out more, I put the link of my landing page (therefore WordPress) + the members area, the shopping cart page etc. In summary, everything except my landing pages.

What I would like to do is that when the future customer clicks on the buy button on WordPress, they will be redirected to my Bubble app (I will create a subdomain when everything is ready) where they will be asked if they have already an account (he can be a customer or be subscribed to my newsletter and therefore have a members area) or if we create one.
Then, his shopping cart (with the product he had chosen on WordPress) would be displayed and he would be offered either to pay or to continue his purchases by redirecting him to the catalog (still Bubble).

I thought about cookies, but I don’t know if it’s possible, or how to create a WordPress cookie and get it from Bubble.
If you have a less convoluted path I’m also interested.
I can also direct from the landing page to the shopping cart directly and it’s only at payment that he’s asked if he has an account. In this case, how to create a “temporary” shopping cart?

Thanking you in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Enable your Bubble app to work as an iframe in settings and display at so in Wordpress

This way you get the full functionality of your Bubble app in WP

Thank you for your answer.
I had thought about it the other way around (iframe from WP page on Bubble), but I don’t see what I should put in the landing page button link to add to cart :pensive:.

@lydia.provin

You can design beautiful marketing pages in Bubble as well. Here a great guide (paid) from the great folks at buildcamp.io @gregjohnkeegan @nomorecode

1 Like

I don’t doubt it :), but in terms of SEO and ease of design, I prefer to keep WordPress and only put on Bubble what is dynamic.
In addition, my landing pages will not all be identical in structure (I could have long, short, subscription pages etc.) and I don’t want to create as many pages as there are products on Bubble.

@lydia.provin

Design your bubble app for the functional app aspects for what you need

Send users to those bubble app areas with links from buttons in your WP site

If you’ve already built out your WP marketing site, there isn’t necessarily a reason to change it.

Its sounds like you want to create some links from your WP site to your bubble site.

If you need to trigger workflows or pass data from WP page into bubble, you can do that with URL parameters.

Purchase link example
https://bubblecheckout.yourdomain.com?size=3&color=red

If you implement some javascript on your WP site, you could even take data from form fields on your WP page like quantity, color, etc, and pass those values into bubble via a dynamically-constructed URL.

If you are looking to create a custom checkout system in bubble, with a cart, etc. – vs. a fixed purchase page–I’d give it some serious consideration before attempting that. This may seem straightforward, but there are a lot of things that go into this (I speak from experience :slight_smile: ). Maybe someone has written a template, but even so I would say this is a big lift (bigger than it might seem). Anyways woocommerce for wordpress or shopify both offer functional prebuilt systems checkout systems that are capable of managing data on their own or passing that data into bubble. Just 2 cents from an internet stranger.

1 Like

I wonder why you do not use a shopping cart solution native to Wordpress?

What makes you choose Bubble?

You had mentioned kicking around any kind of ideas for integration of a bubble and non-bubble site.

Again, I would not suggest building your own cart in bubble, however I feel like the ideas themselves are potentially useful. I’ve roughly sorted them by what I imagine the integration difficulty would be from easiest to most involved:

1. Keep the sites separate. Use standard links to redirect users to your bubble app. Users configure product on bubble site, navigate back to WP–easy.

2. Include url parameters in your link to trigger events or configuration on bubble site.

3. Send form data collected on WP page via dynamic URL parameters that are formed in JS on the WP page.

1. Include iFrame on WP site that shows your bubble site. You could ‘wrap’ an entire bubble page in a frame (no SEO value though).

2. create a ‘tiny’ (as in physically miniature) bubble page for your cart/item counter and display that in a tiny frame in your WP page header. Clicking it brings you to bubble cart.

3. Use either #5 or #6, but also give yourself some advanced integration between the two sites by using Javascript PostMessage() to send messages from your WP site into the bubble frame to trigger workflows, etc.

4. (Relating to 5 & 6) Write a few lines of JS on the bubble site to read your bubble user cookie and transmit the UID contents from the bubble iframe to the WP parent frame and then save a new cookie on the WP site for matching. Remember that the domain host for the two sites will be different and they cannot read each others cookies. This will at least keep a consistent UID data across both sites, HOWEVER there is big unknown to me here, which is the issue if the user logs in and out of bubble to keep track of matching those UIDs. You’d have to get a good grip on what is happening with bubble cookies to make this workable.

5. Use Public API workflows and tokens to match data.

a) Build a backend API workflow in bubble
b) expose it as a public non-authorized endpoint.
c) Use a HTTP form POST to send data to bubble from your WP page.
d) you can also tie the WP site user to the bubble user.

• create a cookie on WP with a unique token.
  • POST that token to the public bubble API endpoint you created.
  • Save that token to any of the things created in that public workflow to allow you to tie it to your WP visitor

When you visit the bubble site from WP:

• include the WP cookie token in your URL links to bubble

When your user arrives at bubble page:
-Do a search for thing (cart_items): token = [WP token extracted from URL]

• make changes to current user: token = [WP token extracted from URL]
    (you can’t ‘do a search for’ anonymous users in bubble, however if the user signs up, the token value will be migrated to their user’s thing.
1 Like

I would like to bring all the purchasing and members area together in one place.
Currently, I’m at Kartra coupled with ThriveCart but I often have problems creating member areas (because of the GDPR) and there are things that I want to personalize, nothing is ever perfect when it’s not personalized.
I have tested several platforms and I’m sick of having to make concessions (either with an LMS platform or with an LMS plugin) :slight_smile:
Bubble therefore seems perfect to me. It’s a bit long for me because it must have been 2 months I think I started with Bubble, but it allows me to learn while building my own platform. Ultimately, I want to create applications in various fields (until now I created them for my clients on Access and Excel) so anything that allows me to evolve is good to take :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for this very detailed answer.
Being a beginner, I turn to your 2nd option which seems simpler to me, but I keep the others for later (with new knowledge, it may seem easier to me then).
I hadn’t noticed that whatever you put after the name of a Bubble page in a URL, it doesn’t create a 404 error. For example:

For those who are interested, here is how I proceeded:

1. On my WordPress landing pages, the button that should lead to Bubble will have the URL of the page that should redirect + the name of my product (example: https://votreassistante.bubbleapps.io/ version-test /mes-pages/ application-stocks-access or https://votreassistante.bubbleapps.io/ version-test /mes-pages/ formation-tcd-excel)
  2. On this Bubble page (mes-pages), I place a workflow that is triggered when the page is loaded and the user is not logged in to display the login pop-up + another workflow that is triggered when the page loads AND when the URL is the one indicated in the WP button AND the user is logged in → here I create a new shopping cart for the user with the product in question (I know it since I have the URL) and I direct it to the shopping cart page.
  3. I have created a WF for the Log in button of the pop up in case the URL is the one indicated in the WP button. Here, I log the user, I hide the pop-up, I create the shopping cart (with the name of the product) and I display the shopping cart page.
  4. The same should be done if the user did not yet have an account.
  5. I’m going to have to duplicate each URL conditioned WF for each of my products (I don’t have 500 products and I’m working alone so I should be fine :slight_smile: )

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.