Setup passwordless authentication in Bubble

I figured out how to create a passwordless authentication flow using Bubble’s built-in functions. You can alter an existing app, but it’s easier to describe using a fresh, clean, new app.

https://www.atthatmatt.com/how-to/how-to-setup-passwordless-authentication-in-bubble-is/

(sorry about the lame formatting; apparently I can’t paste in a bullet point list)

start with a new, blank app
insert the default header into the index page
add a new page by cloning the index page; name it “profile”
open the header for editing
expand the elements tree; expand group B
copy and paste the login/signup group so that group B now has two identical groups under it
change the names of the two button groups to something meaningful
I suggest “login/signup” and “logout/profile”
change the names of the buttons themselves to reflect this
I suggest that the button next to “log out” be set (using dynamic data) to the “current user’s email:extract alias”
Set visibility conditions
under both button groups, uncheck the “this element is visible on page load” box so that the buttons default to invisible
under both button groups, on the conditional tab, create a new condition
set the condition to “current user is logged in” OR “current user is logged out”
set the property to change to “this element is visible” and check the box so that the appropriate group will set itself back to visible. That way the user will see the correct buttons for their logged in/out status
open the header’s workflows for editing
go ahead and create a workflow that navigates to the index page when the header’s logo is clicked (just one of those design best practices that Bubble’s default app ignores)
add a workflow that logs the user out when button “log out” is clicked (also might as well navigate back to the index page)
add a workflow that navigates to the user’s profile page when the button displaying their email is clicked
you should see 5 workflows: button current user’s email is clicked, button log in is clicked, button log out is clicked, button sign up is clicked, logo is clicked
make sure that the header has “signup / login popup A” in its element tree. If it doesn’t, then insert that popup from the reusable elements
open reusable element signup / login popup for editing
in the element tree, make group “signup” visible if it isn’t already
all you need here is an email input and a “confirm email” button
delete the email and email confirmation fields
change the name of button “sign up” to “sign me up”
under the element tree, make group “signup” invisible and make group “login” visible
again, all you need here is an email input and a button
delete the “password” input, the “remember me” checkbox, and the “forgot password” button
change the name of button “log in” to “send me a login link”
under the element tree, select group “reset password”
select “delete” in popup reset password’s parameters
open the workflows for reusable element signup / login popup for editing
workflow: button sign me up is clicked
first action: sign the user up
email should be input email’s value
change password to “calculate formulat” and “generate random string” and just set it to like 100 characters with all boxes checked
uncheck require password confirmation
uncheck send an email to confirm the email
change remember the email to yes
next action: send password reset email
email to reset should be input email’s value
change the subject and body to something that makes sense
leave an empty line under the body text so that the reset link isn’t jammed up against the body text
next action: hide signup / login popup
next action: go to page index
workflow: button send me a login link is clicked
delete the log the user in action
first action: send password reset email
change email to reset to “input email (log in)’s value”
change the subject and body to something sensible and be sure to leave a couple empty lines after the text so that the link is on its own line in the email
next action: hide signup / login popup
leave the workflows for “switch to login” and “switch to signup” alone
now you should see four workflows: button confirm my email is clicked, button send me a login link is clicked, button switch to login is clicked, button switch to sign up is clicked
open the app’s Data for editing
under tab data types, click on “user” (it should be the only data type anyway)
create a new field and name it “trust_time” so that we can set an upper limit on the length of time a user can remain logged in
open page reset_pw for editing
change text “reset your password” to “confirming email”
delete the “password” and “re-type password” inputs
change text “this page lets you reset your password” to “If you are not redirected automatically, please click this button.”
change the name of button “CONFIRM” to “click me”
open page reset_pw’s workflows for editing
under workflow “page is loaded” add constraint and when “is reset password token valid = yes”
add first action: assign a temp password to a user with user = Current User
next action: reset password with both password and confirmation set to “result of step 1”
next action: make changes to current user. click change another field. enter trust_time = current date/time
build the same actions under button click me as a backup in case the automatic workflow doesn’t run
open page index’s workflows for editing
add a new event, user is logged in
and when [current user] [‘s trust_time] [+(months):] [type 1 and then click to the right of the box so 1 turns yellow] [<] [current date/time]
so this takes the date/time stored in trust_time (back when the user’s credentials were reset), adds one month to it, and tests to see if that date is less than (older than) the current date/time. Or, in human-speak, it tests to see if the trust_time is more than one month ago
create action log the user out
make up a test email and use Mailinator to try signing up.

4 Likes

:fearful:

:slight_smile:
From what I know, we created a FAKE user and restricted his rights. That’s how we managed this to log all IP Address (unique visitor).

2 Likes

dont be a scared. @DaveA some tips are working now.

@rickandress I’m not scared, I was shocked at the length of the response and number of steps, it was verging on the tl;dr… :slight_smile:

ok, you are not scared @DaveA

Maybe the Bubble team will come up with a way for the community to share elements between our various apps so that instead of writing instructions I can just make my login process available as a template/plugin. That would be better, faster, cheaper for us.

2 Likes