Users seeing different date values

I have one user (maybe more?) seeing a different date value than what’s added to the data tab within bubble

Screenshot of data tab within bubble (live)

Screenshot of what I’m seeing (live, not version-test)

Screenshot of what the user is seeing (live, not version-test)

Note the difference in dates 1/9/00 (right) vs 1/8/00 (wrong)

Here’s how it looks in the bubble editor

Any idea what could cause two users to see two different values at the same time? More specifically, why would he see the correct date minus a day? There are at least 7 instances of this “off by a day” issue, and we haven’t dug too far in to see if there are more yet.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Are they in different time zones ?

Bubble adjusts (it seems) dates and times based upon your browsers time.

So it is possible that if someone in GMT adds a date … then someone behind GMT would actually see a different date.

Which works for times … say meetings. But not so good if 16th June really should be 16th June, not 15th of June because you are on the East Coast.

1 Like

Yes, different time zones. I suspected that might be the cause but couldn’t wrap my head around why.

Should I save the date as a string or integer instead?

Thanks @NigelG!

I don’t know. One for @emmanuel I would think.

There are times when you really want a date to be an actual day, not adjusted for time zone.

Right, if you use the current date, it’s being set in GMT on the server. A good way to protect this is to store it as a text because then you can do formatted as when you save the data, that way the date that is shown is the one that the user set on his machine.

1 Like

That isn’t really the issue.

If you use the date picker to pick a date … it also comes with a time of 12:00am attached. You store it as a date.

You then display that date … and the DATE changes if your timezone is behind.

Are there any plans to allow editing of fields within data types? Specifically, the ability to change a field type of an existing field (from date to text in this example) so I don’t need to re-import a bunch of data?

Not for the foreseeable future. It’s quite tricky to do that, and bulk operations can let you convert fields.

1 Like

Hi @emmanuel, I created a new data type and saved all the date values as text values. Regarding your recommendation below:

A good way to protect this is to store it as a text because then you can do formatted as when you save the data, that way the date that is shown is the one that the user set on his machine.

I only see the option to format as US Phone or URL Encoded (a custom blockspring block).

I don’t see an option for formatted as a date. Am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

thanks!

Because you’re trying to format a text, not a date. Anyway, we’re pushing shortly timezone handling, will announce in a different post.

See this [New Feature] Timezone management

1 Like