What happened to sort by distance from?

I’m searching the forum for information on how to sort by distance from a location.

I see a lot of people struggling with it and not too much information regarding any possible solutions or any instruction on how to do it.

I came across this thread from 2016 with a screen shot of what seems to be a great solution that is no longer available for some reason

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.44.11 PM

What happened to this feature and what has replaced it so that we can easily sort by distance? Seems like a pretty important component that should not have been scrapped.

Currently I can’t select a geographic location from my data type ( I have geolocation saved as a data field of the data type I am trying to sort )…instead the current sort options only allow me to select text fields or number fields.

Never mind I found it after reading another old thread. Looks like it is available when “do a search for” and sorting on the search but not on a list of things already loaded.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.50.57 PM

Just leave this up here for anybody else who might struggle with sorting by distance from a location.

4 Likes

Yeah, that is quite annoying.

I have a list on a datatype that I want to sort by geo but I can’t. I have to do a search, which is a PITA.

1 Like

I had thought that there would be an ability to do this using the :sorted by dynamic field , based on what the reference says

But it doesn’t seem to work the way I thought it would with my set up

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.36.28 PM

I figured since the geographic address is ‘some other filed I defined on my type’ but no luck.

1 Like

Is there a solution to this now? I am getting a list of markers from map and want to sort them by distance. So naturally, I can’t do ‘do a search for’ as my source of data is map.

How do I work around this?

I come from another angle. I for the first time need to sort and filter on distance and didn’t know it worked at all. So I went to sleep pondering on solutions, and woke up with an idea using a calculation on longitud and latitude.

How relieved I was to find this thread! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like