API Connector getting sum of parameters of large data group

Hi there,

Question: I have two Bubble apps (app 1 with a database, app 2 with a frontend). I use the Bubble API Connetor on app 2 to display data from app 1. The data I want to display are events of app 1 with a name field and an “amount” field. So, for example I have the event “LinkClicked” with the “amount of 10”. So far that is only one entry in the database, but with its amount parameter it shows me that a certain link was clicked 10 times.

How can I display the total amount of actual events which happened? For example if I use “response count” or “response remaining” I get the number of entries of that data type (e.g. LinkClicked has 1 entry) but I need to total sum (e.g. 10 because there is one entry of LinkClicked with an amount of 10. Or later, there are 5 entries of that event, each with an “amount” of 10, so in total 50 links are clicked).

Does anyone know how to achieve it?

Best,
Flurin

You can simply use the :sum operator on the App 2 frontend after the App connector has returned the list of entries from App 1.

Alternatively you could set up a backend API workflow on App 1 which processes the entries and returns the processed value (in your case the sum of the fields).

Hi Nico!

Ok, thank you! Where do I find the :sum operator? When i use the API connector on app 2 I’ll get a “response” item first with a couple of options like: response, response cursor, response remaining, … (see in the screenshot attached). Also, I think the API connector would only get the first 100 results in the first place, would :sum still consider all results above the initial 100?

And will check your second idea too.

No it would not.
The :sum operator is being applied on the user’s computer on the data that app 1 returned. It definitely would not be able to apply to data that never left app 1’s database.

For the sake of completeness, to access the :sum operator you would have to select response (to access the actual data response) and then select :each item's field, and :sum would then be available (if the field is recognised as a number).

As you said, the API workflow will only return the first 100 elements. To get the total Sum of more than 100 elements, you will have to create a backend API workflow in App 1. This will simply contain a ‘Return Data from API’ workflow step which runs a search for Events with the constraints of your choice + ‘:each item’s field: sum;’. You would then be able to call this API from App 2, which will only receive a number representing the total sum.

Ok, thank you a lot! Will have a look into the workflow solution.