BDK Native Apps - Build before you buy

Excited to announce that BDK Native Apps is now open for everyone to try out.

Before:

1. Start a project & purchase the BDK Native apps service
  2. You receive your native app & the plugin was authorized
  3. Start adding native capabilities into your bubble app
  4. Test your app with friends, beta and list to app store

Now:

1. Install the Native apps plugin from the bubble plugin store ($16)
  2. Start adding native capabilities into your bubble app
  3. Test your app through the ‘Preview mode’ in the demo app when viewed on device
  4. Show it off to your friends, potential customers
  5. Start a project & purchase the BDK Native apps service, after trying & testing your native app.

Some cool things about the preview mode:

• You have access to all the latest features in the preview mode
  • If you’re building an app for someone else, e.g. you’re an agency this could be a great way to show a working native app to your clients before they ask for it
  • Same plugin is used between preview mode & your native app. No need to rebuild workflows.

Oh, also the demo app, preview mode etc. are themselves built on bubble & bdk native :smiley:

Get Started Here

Cheers,
Gaurav

31 Likes

:raised_hands: I wanted to try your plugin for so long, but I had no mobile project coming up. Just bought that test version to give it a try, finally! Let the fun begin.

4 Likes

Looking forward to using it! Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting, hope to test it soon

2 Likes

installed your testflight app on iPad, and it just crash right back to the home screen.

2 Likes

Are they (mobile) apps based on @gaurav’s BDK Native Apps service that have been released publicly so far? :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see some real-life implementations!

Hi @newlee,
That’s surprising. I have it running smoothly on my iPad and there are several others who have tested on iPad without any issues. Can you PM more details around which model / iOS version you’re using. Note that it won’t work for iOS versions prior to 9.4.

1 Like

Hi @Lucien,
There are quite a few that have already been released. However, I’ll leave it to respective clients to post here if they’d like to disclose their app and/or building experience, as its’ their right if they want to share more details.

Cheers,
Gaurav

Of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have my app in process but i can share it with you once I get there. Native app building works pretty sweet! It takes a bit to get a hang of it but i didn’t have to make big changes to my one page app. There are few updates that i’m looking forward: deeplinking with push notifications, options for camera cropping resizing, better native transition. After that I can create pretty impressive stuff!

2 Likes

@gaurav is the demo app different from Bubble’s editor?

Does your app have to be a one page app for this to work?

Hi @gaffneyantonio,
Not sure I understood the first question exactly…
If you’re asking whether the demo app is built on bubble or not:
Yes, it’s built on bubble. Its the page https://thebdk.com/native

The app doesn’t need to be one page. Infact, BDK Native is agnostic to the page itself. So if you had a couple of pages on webflow, couple on bubble, couple on shopify etc. it would still work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @gaurav, I purchased the plugin to test the native features for your platform some time ago. Thanks for making this available!

On iOS I have an issue when not using the toolbar, as the iOS status bar is either with a white font and a white background, or does not appear at all. The “hide safari ui component” option in bubble does not seem to do anything either.

I have tried some CSS available in the forum, but it just pushes everything up, which is not desirable. If I want to have the status bar visible (either with darker background and white font or with a darker font color), how do I do that?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @starnapp :smiley:

Simply use the update status bar (iOS) workflow step :slight_smile: as described in #26 of the documentation

Thank you @gaurav ! I did not see that action previously. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I am still testing the toolset features. I have a question regarding the image quality settings for the “take picture” element. When I use “large” or “medium” I always get a 3024 x 4032 px (no difference between the two). Is this maybe a bug?

In low quality, I get 240 x 320, which is almost unusable.

It would be nice to have something in the region of 800px, which provides a decent quality while size is kept still low.

Hi Gaurav,

The new feature are just fantastic, Bravo!
However the pricing is not that appealing, no intention in promoting other services but with usd199 x2 + 16usd (IOS + Android) with only one free re-build :confused: is not competitve. Dropsource is offering a yearly license with unlimited builts for both IOS and Android for a similar cost and more native features linked to Bubble.
This is comment is just an end user comment, I say it again, BDK is a giant leap toward a Native Bubble coding.
Cheers

The Dropsource pricing on their website is $999 a year for each platform, so almost $2000 a year if you want both iOS and Android. Are you seeing something different? Also interesting that their main website now positions them as an agency instead of a nocode platform builder. I haven’t checked them out in a long time and was surprised to see this!

1 Like

True, didn’t know it was one platform only. Apologies.
Still I wouldn’t put USD 400+ in a wrapper, cheaper alternatives are in the market… (out of curiosity I am trying the BDK plugin).

I salute the effort though.
Cheers.

1 Like

Hi
I am almost finished preparing my app for android and iOs using your BDK plugin. I have found a few strange things which I’d like clarification on.
Firstly - the system notifications don’t seem to work at all on iOS testflight BDK app. For example and incorrect password shows no system notification, but I get the notification on Android. Also on Android - the notification is an unpleasant ‘https://www.websiteURL.com says your password is incorrect’.
So I’ve tried to make native alerts for iOS to compensate but am finding this super tricky and I cannot manage to find a way to notify incorrect password.
Here are my questions:

1. If there is no notification for incorrect password will my app fail to make it through apple app approval?
  2. is this just a quirk of BDK app or do system notifications from Bubble just not work on iOS apps? (i.e. will this be the case for the final product)
  3. Is there a way to change that awful URL address included in the system alert on the android?

Thanks so much!

3 Likes

Good questions. I’ve also noticed on the bdk rest app on iOS there is no notification that an incorrect password has been entered. A user will just see that nothing happens when they try to log in. They have to guess that maybe the issue is that they entered the wrong password. I haven’t tried it on android yet.

2 Likes