Bubble vs Backendless

Backendless recently developed a UI builder that turns their low-code platform into a no-code tool.

I like them a lot for two reasons:

1. You don’t have to rely on their servers. You can install Backendless on your server and move data easily. Way less lock-in.

I find it especially important since Bubble Apps are insanely slow in European countries. Backendless has an European Server, and everything in their app runs smoothly for me.

1. Their API and database features (available in codeless too!) are soooo good. The UI is clear, the capabilities are great and their tutorials are nice.

However, I won’t save time in Backendless. Sure, it’s no code, but it’s a programming language. It works in the same way. For example, now I’m struggling to understand how to upload a file to the DB via a form, which is super easy with Bubble.

There are loops, data objects and model, data retrieval, file upload APIs etc. After 2 weeks of study I just built a calculator and a simple data retrieval app, just like I would with JS for example.

So yes, flexible as hell, but not really fast to work with since you have to handle error retrieval, troubleshooting, bug analysis etc

While RE: Bubble I love the extreme ease of use (I can build what I learned in 1 week on Bubble in 20 minutes, including the learning process), but I still can’t wrap my head around learning it because I fear they will never make the builder faster.

It’s been slow for years, and they never really pushed an update on this regard. It really makes me wonder if it makes sense for me to learn a complex tool (I don’t want to build just a random calculator, my idea is fairly complex so I need to understand most features of Bubble to develop it) that I can’t use externally (another server) and that will never be fast, REGARDLESS of how much I know about the platform…

Any opinion on this? I can see a lot of topics about it but I’ve never seen people compare Bubble with other no-code advanced tools (like Adalo or Backendless) that can now compare with the feature-set of Bubble.

If you feel like the thread is useless or spammy, just let me know and I’ll delete it. I’m honestly interested in your opinion, I’m in no way, shape or form connected to Backendless.

2 Likes

Bubble have actually done a few comparisons on their blog. Needless to say, it’s a bit of marketing and biased, but can serve as an overview.

At the end of the day, most builders offer the same things in various packages when it comes to front end. So far Bubble is the only one (that I’m aware of) that has an integrated no-code backend builder. There are rumours that Wappler is working on a integrated baas solution as well. And I believe Appgyver (native app builder) has been entertaining the idea too.

For me personally, I’m so used to bubble now that for the type of projects I’m doing it just makes more sense to stick with a software I know and can build super fast with. Yes, there are choke points in bubble slowing some things down. But I’m not too fussed with it. Some people are, some people aren’t. And neither side on the forum is willing to admit that the other might have a point.

I, again, very personal mindset, is that if I ever were to try and build some type of saas that has sale potential, I would look into migrating from bubble to a solution like wappler if it was easy enough to rebuild. Not because of speed, but because I would worry that the pool of buyers willing to buy a locked bubble app, compared to actually buying code, e.g. a smart solution for matching users, would be considerable smaller than the buyers looking to buy the actual code and do whatever they want with it.

Edit: I should mention that I have never even attempted to sell an app, so I have no idea if my worry about not being able to sell and transfer the code is valid or not. So take that into consideration and don’t listen to anything I say :wink:

2 Likes

Bubble is really easy to build. But I think the actual advantage comes from having a large community.
When you stuck at something you can easily get help and find a way through. And there is a lot of plugins
so it makes it even more easier to work with bubble.

They have improved the speed too I can’t remember which thread but I’ve seen it recently.

Have you looked at wappler? That one is also nice and the community is growing too.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!

I do agree Bubble definitely wins on the speed of development. It takes literally 20-30 mins to build something with Bubble (of course something simple).

Yes, I checked Wappler but I think it’s actually harder than Backendless and more pricey overall. Backendless has database management, while Wappler only connects to an existing database and doesn’t have hosting (hence server-stuff) included either.

1 Like

Looking at the backendeless features video (I always feel like I’m being sold grip strength trainers or something by that chap).

It is looking vey interesting, I like their approach to responsiveness, it’s standard and far more useful. I love that they’re doing node based logic, none of the cryptic strings of bubble speak and realizing you missed something and need to add one function at the start and have to redo the whole logic again.

But, the front end builder does look very barebones at the minute. The components seem to be pre-designed with none or few styling choices. And for a primarily design based builder like myself, that’s an instant stop light. But great to see where it’s heading. :+1:

3 Likes

Their no-code language is far more advanced than what I see on Bubble. You can create custom APIs and natively integrate with Android and iOS apps, so it’s definitely cool.

As for the frontend, you’re right, their builder has quite limited styling options as far as no-code goes, but they released “themes” which support LASS and full editing is possible. So if you know CSS you can customize every element in the app.

However, I do get your point. I’m a digital marketer first and a no-code enthusiast after, and I’m able to do 95% of what I need on Wordpress + ACF + Integromat/Zapier, and design is super important for me as well.

What’s your experience with Bubble responsive engine? I tried it and I can’t wrap my head around it. It doesn’t make any sense to me. Everything is so… pixel-based, in a world (the development world) that’s switching to dynamic widths/heights etc.

1 Like

It is what it is :wink: I think they had a good idea when they first designed it. It’s meant to allow for more freedom in designing, which is admirable. And it’s not unusable by any means, you can achieve much of what you need but it will take you 10x longer than with the competition, using grid based standards, flexbox and so on. And of course some things are just not possible with the current engine. I do find tho, that to be able to use it, you still have to adhere to strict grid based designs, so I’m not sure the idea of freely placing elements have that much benefit anyway?

They’re clearly aware of this and have been talking about overhauling it for a long time, and just announced that they’re changing it, unfortunately (perhaps), it sounds like there might not be a massive change to it. But we’ll have to wait and see what the team comes up with. Perhaps they will find a perfect balance between ease of use, speed and freedom.

3 Likes

Yes I’ve read their plans for the new builder. It disappoints me to see they have no plans to integrate an actual responsive engine, but I hope they’ll make use of new technologies and develop something even better.

They do have more experience than everyone else in the field of no-code making, so let’s hope…

It depends on the complexity of the front end, you can build your API’s in Backendless and the UI in Bubble for example, you then (i assume) you can get the benefit of your server side processing on their cloud with the rapid GUI development on Bubble. In Backendless you could containerise your server side using Docker and still keep Bubble as your front end tool.

2 Likes