Delete Table from Live Database

Pretty straightforward question. How do you delete a table from the live database?

Caveat…without overwriting it with the entire dev database. I created a couple tables that I pushed to the live DB but have decided to take a different route. When I try to delete the tables I get the error “You are viewing the live version of this app, it is read-only. To make changes, go to the development version using the dropdown menu on the top right of the screen.” Those tables no longer exist in the development database.

Thanks!
Will

Hi there, @willday33… to get rid of those data types in the live database, you have to delete them from the development database (which it sounds like you have already done), and then you have to deploy those changes to the live app.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “without overwriting it with the entire dev database”, but deploying the app is the only way to get those changes into the live database. That being said (and you probably know this already, but just in case), deploying data type changes to the live app only changes the database structure… it does not overwrite any data in the remaining data types in the live app.

Hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

Thanks Mike!

I always forget (or in some cases am unaware of) those little intracacies between copying DB data from dev to live and deploying the app from dev to live. Is there a KB page or doc resource that details what a DB table copy does vs an app deployment?

BR,
Will

My pleasure, Will!

I don’t know of a resource that explains the differences between those two things (which doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, of course… I just don’t know of one), but I have always found it to be pretty straightforward. If you add, delete, or change the structure of any of your data types, you have to deploy the app to live in order to see those changes in production. If you want data from your development database to show up in the live app, well, first, be super careful because you are overwriting production data… and second, you need to use the database copy feature.

I know that doesn’t give you any more information than you already had at this point, but who knows, maybe it will help someone at some point. :slight_smile:

Best…
Mike