Displaying data from a reusable GroupFocus element to Repeating Group

Hello

I’m having some trouble displaying data from a reusable GroupFocus element to a Repeating Group.

My GroupFocus is of option set ‘Priorities’ which is displaying an image type called ‘flag’, and the Repeating Group is of data type ‘Tasks’ - but I don’t think this would be the issue.

What I’m trying to do is use the reusable element to show and/or change the Priority of the Tasks that sits within the RG.
So far I’ve been able to use the reusable element to show the Task’s current priority and to drop down with the selection, but what I can’t figure out is how to display the new priority’s selection data.

This is my current attempted workflow at displaying the data from the selected cell of the groupfocus to the reusable element, which should then show in the repeating group in which I’m using this reusable element - but as you can see, I can’t figure it out.

But since the target cell in the RG is pulling data from the RG’s data source (Tasks) I need this Groupfocus’ selection to ‘Make a change’ to a (list of) Task that = x in the database.
The trouble is I can’t reference or call on the RG element in the reusable element’s ‘Make a change’ workflow.

Any ideas?

Have the Reusable Element that holds the group focus have a data type Priority. Then when you click on the flag in the repeating group and show the reusable element, display the current cell’s priority in the reusable element. Then you can configure the reusable to make changes to the Reusable’s priority’s flag.

Hm I’m not sure I’m following.

The reusable element’s structure is as follows:
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 7.06.13 PM

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 7.06.31 PM

So right now, the flag is part of the reusable element (Priorities Dropdown group), that is on the displayed RG cell.
Because of this I think makes the "Then when you click on the flag in the repeating group and show the reusable element, display the current cell’s priority in the reusable element. " part not achievable?

still do this above part

instead of this, when the flag is clicked make changes to the reusable’s priority.

Then when you place the reusable on the cell of the repeating group. Set its data source to be the current cell’s priority.

I see - and what would “make changes to the reusable’s priority.” entail?
I understand the concept here but not the steps required.

I’ve just had a play around and got it!

I think this may have been the determining factor:
“Then when you place the reusable on the cell of the repeating group. Set its data source to be the current cell’s priority.”

In conjunction with Displaying the new selection’s data to the group holding the flag image element (not the reusable element group itself).

Thanks @foraanyas

1 Like

@foraanyas
My follow on question is how to add a workflow to the reusable element to make the group focus’ new selection save to the corresponding RG’s task’s data?

I’ve attempted this but it’s not working obviously, just not sure what expression is the one I’m after.

You want to make changes to a thing and set that thing equal to the reusable element’s task. Then you can change the priority field to the user’s input.

In your picture you are trying to make changes to a list of tasks. Why is that?

I don’t believe I have the option for the following: “make changes to a thing and set that thing equal to the reusable element’s task.”
I think because the reusable element is of data type Priority, not Task. ie: the reusable element doesn’t have an a Task for the Change to Thing to be equal to.

Because of this, when I select “Make changes to a thing” or “Make changes to a list of things” I’m only able to select a list of Tasks.

Ohhh ok that makes sense. Make the reusable of type TASK. I know I previously said priority but I misunderstood. Then whenever you want to find the priority of the current task you can just call the Reusable’s task’s priority so it shouldn’t change much of your existing functionality. Now when you try to make changes to a thing you can select the Reusable’s task and set it equal to whatever priority the user chose.

So on the RG, I’ve tried making the reusable element’s data source both Parent group’s tasks’s priority and the Reusable element’s task’s priority. No luck with either as you can see.
The RG’s data type is Task, so I’m not sure what’s not working here…

emphasized text

This also breaks the workflow on the group focus since the group focus is of data type Priorities, and the reusable element holding the flag image is now of type Task.

Make the data source the Parent Group’s TASK. Only reference the TASKS’s Priority when you need that information (i.e when you are displaying the task’s priority or changing it).

So that’s what I currently have already, but now when I click on the reusable element in the RG and the group focus appears, when I make a Priority selection the data is not being displayed into the flag image element. My most recent screenshot shows the issue

and here’s the previous message about “data source the Parent Group’s TASK”.

So that works as expected, the part that doesn’t is the groupfocus new selection. That’s not being displayed because the data sources are different (?)

Would you mind sharing a link to your editor or something? I’m having a hard time following and I think I’ve already led you in circles enough.

Best,
Aanya

1 Like

@foraanyas I’ve sent through the links in a message to you.

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.