How do I create a Gender field for my Data-type: User

Hi guys,

I am creating a field under my data-type User, called Gender. The User is supposed to select a gender, Male, Female, or Prefer not to answer. How do I do this with the Bubble?

1 Like

Hi there, @donuzo84… the real question on this one is how will you populate the gender dropdown from which the user selects an option? You need to answer that question so you know what to select for the field type of your gender field.

There are multiple ways to populate the gender dropdown… you could use static choices or you could use dynamic choices driven by an option set or a custom data type. A custom data type is really not necessary for this one, so that leaves static choices or an option set. If it was me, I would go with an option set because your gender choices are, well, a set of options.

So, if you go the option set route, create the option set and then create the gender field in the User data type and set the gender field’s type to the option set. Finally, add the dropdown from which the user will select a gender, select dynamic choices for the dropdown’s choices style, and use the option set to populate the dropdown.

Any of that make sense? Hope it helps.

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Thanks mikeloc. I am still a newbie with Bubble. How do I add a dropdown, I think I got lost at your last sentence.

No worries… we were all new to Bubble at some point. However, if you are “I don’t know how to add an element to a page” new, I strongly suggest you work through Bubble’s tutorials to get an understanding of the basic concepts such as, well, adding elements to a page.

The above being said, a dropdown is an input form element, and you add it to a page by clicking on it and dragging it onto a page.

Best…
Mike

Ok great. I understand now. I was looking for the dropdown in the database section. Thanks for your help

1 Like