How to bypass SSL self-signed certificate error in API connector

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. First of all congratulations for a great product.

I’m creating a custom API connector to communicate with WHM/cPanel (Web Host Manager) on my web server. The WHM is using self-signed SSL certificate.

When running a test API call with API connector, it shows me the following error message:

{“code”:“DEPTH_ZERO_SELF_SIGNED_CERT”}

Is there a way to bypass SSL certificate errors in the API connector? For example, with Postman these certificate errors are bypassed (just like using any programming language you can ignore these errors).

Thanks a lot

3 Likes

Hi there. I have exactly the same issue.

The API service that I am trying to connect to has a problem with the certificate - I spoke to the owner of the service and they have no plan of fixing it on the legacy system I am connecting to.

The call works perfeclty in Postman - but only if I disable SSL verification.

What I need is to send a request that includes “rejectUnauthorized”: false

for example:

request({
“rejectUnauthorized”: false,
“url”: domain+"/api/orders/originator/"+id,
“method”: “GET”,
“headers”:{
“X-API-VERSION”: 1,
“X-API-KEY”: key
}

In node.js this can be fixed by adding the parameter process.env[‘NODE_TLS_REJECT_UNAUTHORIZED’] = ‘0’;

Has anyone figured out how to discable SSL in API calls sent from bubble? If that is not possible that would be a severe setback, as I would have to switch from bubble.io to node.js in the backend instead, forfaiting the whole purpose with no-code.

Thanks, cheers
/Marek

Hello, I’m having the same problem here.

I have a backend two-way SSL NIFI server up and running with listenHTTP configured to receive calls, and I’m trying to secure it.

I have a self-signed certificate for all of this. I’m the only person sending data back and forth to my server via my bubble app.

I can securely run my API call to my Nifi server in postman by turning “Enable SSL certificate verification” OFF.

I’ve configured the bubble API plugin for this call using Client-Side SSL Certificate and providing both the CERT and the KEY content on the parameters.

The issue is that when i try to initialize the call, i get the “self-signed certificate” error, (same as i get with postman if SSL certificate verification is ON.) Isn’t there a way to configure bubble to avoid verification for API purposes?

That would be helpful so i don’t have to get a cert from a valid Certification Authority.

Thank you!

Has any of you found a solution?

1 Like

I’d like to ressurect this issue.

I’ve been testing a Let’s Encrypt custom API for the last 2 weeks without issue. Now I get:

"There was an issue setting up your call.

Raw error for the API
self signed certificate"

What could have changed in Bubble’s API call setups that would cause this to happen? I’ve not done any version updates or change to my API call.

Hi @bryan3 ,

Thanks for ressurecting this issue.

Ive had an API with a Lets Encrypt cert run perfectly since September last year and 5 days ago the connector also started giving me that same issue. I have subsequently changed the domain and generated new certs for the same endpoint and still get the same result.

Have you by chance made any break through on your end? In the mean time I am logging this with support to hopefully get an answer on this.

Regards,
Reinier

Hey @kuschke.reinier, I wish I had better info for you, but my issue fixed itself. I think it was the cert was getting cached oddly or something.

Hi All,
I have the same issue when call API wth HTTPS
“Raw error for the API
unable to verify the first certificate”
Have any the sulution?
Regards,
Long

Hey @lhlong, have you found solution to this issue ? Please, share it with me cause I am facing the same issue.