How to have a user select multiple locations with check boxes and have them populate a map?

Hi,

I’m trying to make it so that a user can select one or more locations from a list of several locations.

I’d like for those that are selected to appear as pins on a Google map after they’ve been selected.

However, I don’t want the list the user selects from to be lats and longs or addresses.

I’d like for my list to have whatever location titles I want and then pass associated lats/longs or addresses to the map on the backend.

Given that context, I’ve gone through the tutorials but I’m having trouble making a list/checkboxes that a user can select one or more from.

Would appreciate help with that!

Welcome. What you do is your “locations” are Things in your database. We might call them a Location. A Location holds all of the info you to to do “stuff” related to any Location (such as displaying that Location as a marker on a map).

Having done that, we simply let the user select some Locations to create a list of Locations that we then visualize as points on the map.

For an introduction to selecting a single Thing from a list (in this case, using a repeating group), see the following. This’ll give you a grounding in the core concepts:

Understanding the above, you can probably see how to construct a list of items that a user might select. And then your map just visualizes that list.

1 Like

Thanks, Keith.

I’ll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Keith,

I wanted to follow up on this. The video you shared got me looking for a video that helped me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yahP3RyVggY

Now I have a more specific question that I voiced here: Calculate Coordinates to Address Maps Error

Thanks again and let me know if you have any insights as to my second question linked above!

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.