New “Create An Invoice” action for Stripe

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share that we’re releasing a small update in features that will appear in both V2 and V3 of our Stripe plugin. Shoutout to @charlotte for building this feature!

You can now create invoices directly using the Stripe plugin with the “Create An Invoice” action. See documentation (Stripe - Bubble Docs) for more details.

The action requires you to enter in the customer you’re charging in the User field. It will then attach any pending invoice items on this user onto this draft invoice. If you additionally add a subscription ID, the draft invoice will not only have existing pending invoice items on the user, but it’ll also have pending invoice items from the subscription. You can also enable automatic collection to allow Stripe’s Smart Retries feature to retry on failed payments for this invoice.

When you use “Create An Invoice” in a workflow, it will return an invoice object. You can retrieve the id of the invoice by using “result of the previous step” from the previous workflow that creates the invoice.

We hope you enjoy this feature! As we look towards the new year, we’re looking at how we can improve Stripe, so feel free to use this thread to comment on any other features you’d like to see us add onto our Stripe plugin.

12 Likes

Thanks for the update @grace.hong !

@luke2

1 Like

Hi Grace,

Great to see you are improving the Stripe integration.

A much needed Stripe improvement would be for the “Subscribe the user to a plan” workflow to return the “id” field. Currently only the “subscription id” and the “price id” are returned, but it would be super useful to also get the unique “id” field as per the Stripe API docs.

1 Like

Hello thank you, the “create an invoice” should be automatically generated with the pending invoices line ? or we must indicate which line to add in the invoice ? on my side the invoice creation only creates draft invoices impossible to add products. … can you helpme ?

Hello if someone have same problem as me, there has been an update that requires filling “pending_invoice_items_behavior” the plugin does not allow to do so.
Maybe in future version…
I hope I was able to help

2 Likes

Hello, it would be useful if after the “Pay in invoice” it would be possible to know if the payment has been successful to use that information in follow-up conditional workflow. Thanks

Hello again, Another improvement may be to be able to select an existing Product in Stripe rather than typing manually a product description and price. Thanks

I have the same problem, anyone can help me?

I need to create some invoice items and then create an invoice with those items… But when I create the invoice it’s empty and all the items are not linked to the invoice.

1 Like

hi grace
good morning

what wouldbe the ideal workflow for invoicing do i need to create invoice iteam first before creating an invoice or i can attach invoice item to the created invoice…i mean it is bit confusing for me

your suggestion would be very much helpful as

1 Like

It seems to be that “create invoice” takes any existing invoice items and puts them into an invoice. It is sort of backwards from how I would expect it to work, but it does seem to work this way.

Hope that helps

UPDATE: I ended up using Stripe.js 2 plugin (see below)

How do I attach an Invoice Item to the Invoice with the Stripe Plugin by Bubble?

For me if I create an Invoice Item for a User and then in the next action create an “Invoice” the same User, then the Invoice Item is not attached to the invoice.

I have tried reversing the flow: first create the invoice, then the invoice item. That also does not work.

The only thing that seems to work is if you fill in the “Subscription ID” for both the Invoice Item and Invoice. My users don’t have a subscription though, so I would like to create invoices without filling in the Subscription ID.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’m sure there must an easy solution here that I am missing :slight_smile:

UPDATE:

I tried the Stripe.js 2 plugin and that works beautifully. You can create an Invoice and then refer to the invoice when you crate the Invoice Item. That works!

Link to plugin: