New Video Course: Build a marketplace app like AirBnb with Bubble

Hi there, awesome stuff you are doing here.
I just tried to access https://soundbay.bubbleapps.io/ but got the “server not found” page on firefox.

@cakeheke thanks for the heads up! It’s working in my Firefox/Chrome but maybe try it again now.

@fayewatson Thank you for the kind words, it means a lot. It’s been incredibly rewarding to see what students are already building with just a bit of help and direction :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries, man. It’s working now.

I love the concept (I’m a producer of House and DnB music).

Another thing - the white text over cyan background is quite hard to read with my monitor. I have to stare at it for a bit to understand what the text reads. I recon if you made the cyan background on the buttons etc a bit darker, it wouldn’t hurt my eyes.

Card keeps getting declined… has money, tried with 2 accounts. HELP Thanks

Check your email + DMs :slight_smile: Might be that you’re outside of Stripe coverage.

@brentsum it looks like blockspring and zapier require a monthly subscription. Is it possible to complete this course without them?

Yes, it can be done. With Zapier, I don’t think you need to worry about cost, since they have a free plan that allows up to 100 zaps per month, and we’re using Zapier for handling post-transaction items. With Blockspring, we’re using them to generate short alphanumeric IDs for listings, which can also be done in Bubble by taking the unique ID and truncating it to a shorter length.

Here’s another great way to approach the naming convention differently without needing to generate a random string: Format Unique ID Differently?

1 Like

@brentsum this is helpful, thanks

1 Like

Is anyone a pro going through this course?

I’d like to pay a flat fee to someone who can go over the app (once I do all 22 lessons), and fix the issues / details that I messed up on,

Is this possible/anyone interested?

thanks

Are you only looking for assistance from somebody that has done the lessons? There are people that can help that has not done the lessons.

@brentsum

Finished the tutorial and thought it was great. A few questions…

1. How does seller receive the payment - did I miss this in the tutorial, I only remember setting up the payment on the buyer side? Does the marketplace take a cut?

2. New listings that are created are added to user’s list, but why aren’t reservations/trips added to a users list-instead you search the database? Is there a best practice?

3. why are links that send parameter setup with url instead of navigate to a specific page method. In the tutorial it says to copy and paste the test URL for the navigation but will those URLS work in the live version?

2 Likes

Yeah Im curious about his questions as well

@stephencharles great questions! Glad you enjoyed the course.

1. The seller receives the payment through a manual Paypal payment. In a later version of the course we may in a dashboard to trigger payments to the seller once a trip has been completed + confirmed, but manual to start ensures there’s no auto-payment to a host that ends up ditching the trip. Using the Stripe seller method isn’t quite right for the escrow service needed to protect buyer + seller.

2. Both do the same, and I demonstrate both to give the option. When it comes to app speed, if you’re searching a larger data set, adding to a list will distribute processing and lead to faster responses in the app. If you’re in a part of the app where the user is fine with waiting a moment for their data (or there is less of it) the search method is quicker.

3. When pushing the application live, you’ll need to switch out the URL there. I’ll add this to the lesson notes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@brentsum

Instead of using external destination links, is it possible to use internal destination links and send the ID? If so, wouldn’t this work for both development and live versions?

1 Like

Wait what? the payment is going through paypal??

I don’t remember seeing a paypal option during tutorial?

@stephencharles it would! The reason we use external links in the course is that it opens them in a new tab, which is the behavior Airbnb uses (and makes it easier to browse and compare multiple listings). If you don’t need that option in your marketplace app, and as long as you’re sending the correct parameter, you can use internal links as well.

@Sosuke It’s discussed in the Zapier workflow part of the course, but if you’d like more guidance, just click the chatbox on http://codefree.co and I’ll walk you through it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@brentsum can’t you just select internal link and then check the box -open in new tab?

If I switch to internal link and select the page, how can I add ?id=uniqueid to the URL? I tried adding this to the ‘data to send’ but I was getting errors.

EDIT: Figured this out, this works. Bubble just doesn’t let you declare a parameter key called ID, so you have to use something else like REF.

2 Likes

@brentsum, first of all, congrats once again on great material. I just finished the 18th lesson and it has been a wonderful learning experience so far. And I had no Bubble experience whatsoever before I started this!

I’ve had trouble with lesson 12: Once I increased the header height to 250 pixels and created the drop down menu with the conditionals, nothing that is on the top 250 pixels of any pages that use this header is usable: input boxes can not be activated, date pickers either, and the user cannot even select text that is on this strip of the screen (such as “Welcome Home”). I’ve tried playing with putting elements in back and in front, to no avail. I’ve also done this from scratch (from blank pages) at least two other times, with no success either. Any ideas?

BTW, I posted this on the lesson comments several days ago, but didn’t get any responses, which is why I’m doing this here. hint :wink:

Also, in lesson 16, I noticed that after making a review of a room (and in other cases in which you use a pop up as an interface for the user to enter data), there is no way to have the success alert message to show up for x milliseconds and only then close the popup: if the workflow involves closing the popup, it immediately does so - and the user then has no time to see the success alert box. Have you found any alternatives to this?

Finally, in lesson 18, regarding the listing availability, I noticed the list of rental constraint unavailable dates “doesn’t contain DateInput Check-In’s value” and “doesn’t contain DateInput Check-out’s value” doesn’t quite work as envisioned: imagine a situation in which unavailable dates are from July 1st until July 5th. According to my tests, it doesn’t work if the user searches for rooms available from before and after those dates: June 30th until July 6th, for instance. Also, I have to say I am not too happy with how this solution was implemented - while I see that it could get the work done for an MVP and I understand your reasoning for adopting this solution, I don’t find it very elegant or efficient. Could you point me into another direction?

I appreciate any hints or tips you could give me regarding those topics. Once again, many, many thanks for this amazing course - so far, the best Bubble resource I have seen so far!

1 Like

@thepiper Glad you’re enjoying the course! Sorry I didn’t see your comment, I’ve been in the studio recording my next Bubble course this week. If you’re ever stuck and need a helping hand, the Intercom chat box on the site is the fastest way to get answers. I usually respond within 10-30 minutes if it’s during the day :slight_smile:

Lesson 12: when a page + reusable element overlap, it can cause input fields to become unstable. I’d recommend shrinking the menu a bit and then moving the inputs down. Cover that in a later lesson.

Lesson 16: Insert an ‘animate element’ action in between showing the alert and closing the window. This will pause the closing until the animation has taken place.

Lesson 18: the new system is actually being uploaded soon in a new lesson, which fixes the search now that Bubble has a new “Multi-Sort” functionality. Stay tuned!

2 Likes