Option Set Dependant Dropdown

Hey could do with assistance with creating dependant dropdowns…Let me explain…

I have created option sets for 2 fields - Manufacturers and Brands then created dropdowns and linked them to the relevant option sets, however, I need to break them out…

Dropdown 1=Manufacturer (Contains say 3 Manufacturers)
Dropdown 2=Brand (Contains say 20 Brands of which should only show those relevant to each manufacturer)

How do I do this?

Hi there, @ryan23… here’s one way to do it… in the Brands option set, create an attribute, and set the attribute type to be the Manufacturers option set. Then, for each brand, set the attribute you just created to the manufacturer with which the brand is associated. After you’ve done that, you would set up the brands dropdown like this…

Hope this helps.

Best…
Mike

Thanks a lot Mike!

1 Like

Hi @ryan23,

This might be a little off-topic, but I’m just curious why you chose to use option sets over storing brand and manufacturer information in the database.

@sudsy Good question and I wish the response was a technically competent one although being relatively new to Bubble I’m afraid it’s not :smiley: But I’ll do my best…

In effect, I have 2 path requirements for dropdowns…

1. A page I’ve created for user’s parameter set up requires selections to be made from dropdowns which are basically a range of suppliers of different products the user will need.

2. When the choices are selected based on their requirements, they form the database that the platform draws from for future processes. So on another page, dropdowns are fed from the database that they have populated in the set up page.

In summary, I’m trying to keep the possible range of national suppliers separate from the actual one’s they will use.

If I understand correctly, that’s a compelling reason to use the db. Option sets are like “static” Things - i.e. they can’t be manipulated using workflows in the same way “dynamic” data from the db can.

So it sounds like you need a “master list” of suppliers and then some subset of that list to be associated with each account on your system. Is that correct? If so, using the db would offer much more power and flexibility when it comes to managing your data.

Yes I suppose you’re right.
I’ve built a spreadsheet over few years that after using it regularly, have realised there is an app requirement.

Originally, it was built using if-then logic statements so bubble concept is a perfect fit but it’s the processes I’m struggling with. I know what I want to achieve, it’s just knowing how to do it.

Another issue I have is the set up dropdowns from these option sets when selected are showing as entries in the database but not displaying as a list. I’ve obviously done something wrong but I’ve back tracked on video tutorials and can’t for the life of me see why it’s not working.

I know what you mean. With Bubble, as with most programming languages, there’s nearly always more than one means to the same end; and the “best” way depends on project requirements - which includes technical requirements as well as UX requirements - as well as the “technical expertise” available to implement the vision.

It’s so easy to get started and “do something useful” with Bubble that it’s easy to do something in a way that can make things a bit more difficult down the road. That said, it’s better to get something done that works and then optimize later if there’s a deadline to meet.

If you post screenshots of the setup with a description of what you want to achieve, I’m sure the forum can help resolve the issue.

Thanks Steve,

So I’ve set up Data types which correspond with the option sets |I’ve created. Understand these should also be in the DB so I’ll work on that but nonetheless…

I’ve created a pop up with inputs and dropdowns as well as a button to process the dropdown selections to the DB. I’ve used a workflow behind that button to extract the values of inputs and
value’s display of the dropdowns and feed the data types in the DB.

When I view App data, I find the following notification that indicates the entries have been made but they are not displayed in the fields I’ve set up as data types…

On the page from where the pop up derives, I’ve created a repeating group that poitns to the fields in the DB but obviously, they won’t work until the above issue is resolved.