Private App vs Public App Vs Development Vs Published

Ok, I have built two Bubble apps, pretty sophisticated for a new person to this new paradigm, but I still can find a definition of what is Private vs Public app. is.

My plan has 2 private apps which I can make live if I want to. Then I can create other Public Apps which I don’t have any idea what they are. When I go in the environment looks the same as they private app. Could someone turn on the light switch on and please and let me see what could be right in front of my eyes and that I can not assertion?

Forgive me if this is simply obvious but not to me and I have looked all over.

Thanks previously…

That was quick. After searching for a long time in the documentation I found the answer in the plan FAQs. Perhaps its in the documentation too and I missed it.

A PUBLIC app is really a SHARABLE app with other developers (usually). Which is different than a LIVE app which is available to the public. That means your intended TARGET AUDIENCE. Which is different than the SHARABLE (PUBLIC APP) which is not intended for the public. Confusing? Below is the explanation.

Here it is:

Private apps versus public apps?
A public app can be accessed by anyone in both edit and run mode, while a private app is protected and the editor is only accessible to you and your collaborators.
Public apps are great to experiment and learn, get feedbacks and help from others, etc.

Perhaps a better name would be a COMMUNITY/ SHARABLE app.

Well, you can still share a private app with other developers if they are set as collaborators. The main difference really comes down to this: public apps can be modified by anybody, private apps can only be modified by people you approve.

Thanks that clarifies the point very well. I think in my case the confusion comes from thinking that the public is my target audience or end users. I see other developers part of my community.

1. Development = The app in development stage and not visible to my target audience, but can test functionality without the target audience seeing it.
  2. Live = The app as seen by the public, may target audience.
  3. Private = The app in development mode, which is only visible to me and other person I have in my collaboration circle. Can be made live as well to the target audience.
  4. Public - The app in development mode, which can be seen by me and any other developer no restrictions (that know where to find it) even if not in collaboration mode with me. You can make this app live but not advisable since anyone can make changes to it. Intended for sharing with the development community.

Correct?

To piggyback: Say I make an app, and it’s public. How would anybody get access to the Editor Environment of my app? Like, how could I go right now and edit somebody’s public app? Would that only be possible if I get ahold of a URL link to their Editor? Is the Editor URL accessible through the live app’s URL? Or is there a gallery of public apps somewhere where it could be searched and found?

Unless you have your own domain name, then it is very easy.

THISBIT.bubbleapps.io

…means I can delete all your data here …

Ok, so you can mask THISBIT by having a custom domain. But I wonder if that would be possible to work out ?

They are not separate things …

Private / Development

Editor - only accessible to you and your collaborators

Site - accessible to anyone with the link. Not indexed by google but can be discovered by adding /version-test/ to the Live URL. You can protect the development version Globally by using Settings/“Limit Access to this app…” or on a page by page basis by defining “Page Load” workflows to redirect if not logged on.

Private / Live

Editor - only accessible to you and your collaborators
Site - accessible to anyone with the link. Indexed by Google. You can protect the live (and dev) sites globally by using Settings/“Limit Access to this app…” or on a page by page basis by defining “Page Load” workflows to redirect if not logged on.

Public / Development

Editor - Accessible to anyone with your app’s name

Site - accessible to anyone with the link. Not indexed by google but can be discovered by adding /version-test/ to the Live URL. Editor can then be accessed by putting your app’s id into the editor URL. You can protect the site by doing it on a page by page basis as above.

Public / Live

Editor - Accessible to anyone with your app’s name

Site - accessible to anyone with the link. Indexed by google. Editor can be accessed by putting your app’s id into the editor URL. You can protect the site by doing it on a page by page basis as above.

4 Likes

Ah. Thanks! I had been wondering about this for a while now; it’s been kinda rattling in the back of my mind, but I’ve had more pressing questions to resolve first. Glad to finally understand it clearly! Thanks again!

Thanks for that…@NigelG… now that can be part of the documentation.:slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.