Save inputs from a repeating group to a corresponding input

Hi,

First time bubble user here and looking for some help, please.

A hypothetical use case. I have two elements that are both Rich Text Input’s. The first is an input for a statement about an ‘Issue’. The second is an input with a repeating group that contains the individual steps someone has taken to troubleshoot an issue. This could include one or more items.

The inputs are saved to different tables: ‘Issues’ and ‘Troubleshooting’.

Each time someone adds another troubleshooting step, it creates a thing in that table. But I want all the troubleshooting steps listed to have an independent relationship with the corresponding issue (not a list of things). So when the Publish button is clicked, each step is saved as a separate thing and linked to the corresponding ‘Issue’ in the issues table.

Could someone please point me in the right direction for how I might configure this?

Example screenshot:

Thank you.

You will need to add a new field to the data type ‘Troubleshooting’ and set the type of that field to ‘Issues’

Then when you create the new troubleshooting record you can also save the corresponding issue

You can read more about this in the Bubble manual where they discuss connecting types

https://manual.bubble.io/help-guides/structuring-an-application/data-structure

Josh @ Support Dept
Helping no-code founders get unstuck fast :rocket:save hours, & ship faster with an expert :man_technologist: on-demand

I post daily about no-code and Bubble on Twitter Follow Support Dept on Twitter

Thanks Josh,

I’ve added [Corresponding Issue] to the data type ‘Troubleshooting’ with the field type as ‘Issues’.

I don’t understand why I keep getting the same error. It is evaluating to a text and should be Issues.

I appreciate your assistance.

You’ll need to first create the Issue, because you can’t reference it if it doesn’t exist, and in this case you’re creating a Troubleshooting Step. Each record needs to be created independently.

Step 1 - Create Issue
Step 2 - Create Troubleshooting Step. Then when you get to defining the Corresponding Issue field you just need to reference Step 1 in your workflow. You’ll see it when you get to it.

You’ll need to then add a new workflow that just creates Troubleshooting Steps for record 2+ and use some conditionals to make sure you fire the right one. Otherwise you’ll end up with 1:1 issues to troubleshooting steps which isn’t what you’re trying to do. There’s a few ways to link the Issue in this case, but probably the simplest is to just ‘Do a search’ and search for it

Josh @ Support Dept
Helping no-code founders get unstuck fast :rocket:save hours, & ship faster with an expert :man_technologist: on-demand

Okay, I understand now. Thank you, Josh.
I’ll change the UI and include a button that creates the Issue and then makes the Troubleshooting Step visible, and go from there.
Thanks for the speedy response!

1 Like

Not a problem at all. Best of luck!

Perhaps you could look at adding that Issue to a state on the page so you can easily reference it when you’re creating the troubleshooting steps

Josh @ Support Dept

This topic was automatically closed after 70 days. New replies are no longer allowed.