"Scroll to entry" isn't scrolling all the way down

I am creating a chat page where a user can click on a conversation and the messages from that conversation are loaded to the message box (classic functionality just like iMessage). The problem is that I need the last message in the repeating group to be shown (just like seeing your last message in iMessage instead of the first message you ever sent).

I thought I could solve this problem by using “Scroll to entry” but it’s just not working. Its almost scrolling to the bottom but not quite. Could someone please advise me on how to get “Scroll to entry” to actually go to right place or could someone give me a completely different strategy to achieve my objective?

Here is a 2-minute video explaining everything: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

Thank you,
Joaquin

Hi @alaskajoaquin

I have exactly the same problem and I just found this Plugin, which should solve this problem.

No idea if this will work, because I’m not sure what’s causing the behaviour. But a quick test could be to just add additional pixels to your scroll. The scroll to entry takes both + and - values as offset. But you’ve probably tried that already.

Unfortunately, I’ve already tried that but thanks for the input!

Hey @alaskajoaquin :wave:

I know that’s frustrating. Hope we can shed some light on the subject for you a bit.

So what is going on here is that, because the repeating group doesn’t load all the way first, it can’t get to the last item in the list.

My recommendation is to use this plugin for any chat type repeating group. RepeatingGroup to Chat Plugin | Bubble

Or, just add a very short pause before doing the scroll to step.

Hope that helps! :blush:

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

For All Your No-Code Education Needs:

2 Likes

I bought the plugin and it seems like a simple solution but when I set everything up it doesn’t work. I’m getting this error:

The plugin RepeatingGroup Tools (bdk) / element Anchor to bottom threw the following error: TypeError: Failed to execute ‘observe’ on ‘MutationObserver’: parameter 1 is not of type ‘Node’.
at eval (PLUGIN_RepeatingGroup-Tools–bdk–update–Anchor-to-bottom-.js:3:280)
at https://dhtiece9044ep.cloudfront.net/package/run_debug_js/ada79fba1f5242c7481da848a4436e3f649f830d1c47b58db849d01c341a2eb0/xfalse/x14:6:2059591 (please report this to the plugin author)

That’s what my original thought was but I’ve tried adding a pause and even a long one doesn’t help. I’ve also walked through the debugger and I can see that it is getting the correct message element but its just not scrolling to it. Check out the video in my original post to get more context.

But thank you for the reply and I will try out the Chat Plugin you suggested.

1 Like

I used the RepeatedGroup to Chat Plugin | Bubble and it worked! There’s only one problem. When I scroll up, the chat repeated group scrolls down and vice versa. Basically, my scrolling is backward.

Hey @alaskajoaquin :wave:

Glad it worked! I think you would have to ask the plugin developer or add a bit of code to it yourself if you can figure out how.

I think this plugin from Zeroqode was able to do it somehow. So it must be possible. 🔀 Reverse Repeating Groups for Chats - New Plugin from Zeroqode - #31 by ZeroqodeSupport

Keep up the good work! :blush:

Hey @alaskajoaquin

Did you manage to solve the issue? If yes, could you please share how?

Thanks

Hello, @alaskajoaquin and @nikola.milosavljevic

@J805 thanks a lot for tagging our team :pray:
@alaskajoaquin @nikola.milosavljevic allow us to propose you to check this plugin: 🔀 Reverse Repeating Groups for Chats - New Plugin from Zeroqode - #31 by ZeroqodeSupport

This plugin is particularly useful for building chat elements (think Whatsapp) where at the bottom of the window you see the most recent record and then if you need to go back through messages you scroll upwards.
The direction of the scrolling could be changed in a very simple way:

Hope that it will help you.
Best regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

1 Like

Hi @ZeroqodeSupport

I installed your plugin and set everything up like you did in the demo, but somehow it only works when RG is vertical scrolling :confused:

Hello, @nikola.milosavljevic
Thanks for purchasing our plugin.

Please allow us to mention that we have checked the Demo Page and all is working properly.
Make sure that you have changed the scrolling direction here:

Please try it and let us know about the result.
Best regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

@ZeroqodeSupport

Here are some screenshots:

As you can see on the image bellow, it starts from top. It starts from bottom only when RG is vertical scrolling.

Here is a video: https://www.loom.com/share/30b2917e36fc409ca954d5621ba841c2

Thanks for the provided screenshots.

In order to be able to help you, can you please let us know what is the issue for your case?
Seems like your scenario works properly. But in case you are looking to implement another option - please let us know.

Currently, you can play around with some options, and namely with the Scrolling direction and the order in which the messages are displayed (ascending and descending).
Please find below some scenarios:

So, as you can see, you can set different orders of the messages and filter them by date.

Please provide us more details regarding your scenario and we will analyze it ASAP.
Looking to hear you soon.

Best regards,
Zeroqode Support Team

@ZeroqodeSupport

I mean the issue is, is that I want my RG to scroll from bottom to top on Either Ext. Vertical scrolling or full list and it does not work. The only way it works is wehen the RG is vertical scrolling but in my case the RG needs to be either Ext. Vertical scrolling or full list.

Please find below the screencast, where is set Bottom to Top scrolling direction and the messages are filtered by “descending”:

Here, you can see that the newest messages are placed on the Bottom and you scroll them to the Top.

The second variant is also the Bottom to Top scrolling direction, but with ascending filtering:

Here, the older messages are at the Bottom and you are scrolling for the newest.

Also, we have tested both “Full list” and “Ex. Vertical scrolling” layout styles. Please find our screencast below:

Please provide us an exact description of what you are willing to achieve. We will be happy to help you, but we need to understand:

• that filtering you are willing to use: descending or ascending;
  • scrolling position;
  • layout style.

Looking to hear you soon.
Best regards,
Zeroqode Support Team