(some value that cannot be displayed)

I had that recently. It had thought it was because it was a JSON field (so the field type was set to something that is returned from an API).

1 Like

How did you solve it?

I couldn’t!

Had to use an admin panel and show the data in an RG as text.

1 Like

That’s unfortunate! I hope Bubble can fix this

1 Like

Hello Guys, if you have examples of this, please report as a Bug as well. It will really help Bubble nail this issue. As we are actually having issues replicating it.

added a bug as well. mine is a dropdown which has no value but isn’t showing empty

got a reply from bubble…FYI. not sure this resolved my issue as it is supposed to be a null but is messing up my search which is conditional on a dropdown.

Thanks so much for reaching out and bringing this to our attention! I was able to get in touch with the team about this and heard back from our engineers that this is actually expected behavior. For a little bit more context, the “(some value that cannot be displayed)” wording was recently adopted to represent non-printable values like null/empty values in the debugger. Another detail to note is that Things (data types like User) cannot be displayed as text directly, although Thing’s fields usually can. That said, you may have also noticed the (some value that cannot be displayed) indicator in the debugger when referencing data type Things in the debugger.

In your case, the “Dropdown Affiliates’s value” is evaluating to (some value that cannot be displayed) because the dropdown itself does not have a specified value yet (it’s essentially acting as a non-printable null value at the moment). That said, I do understand how this wording could be a bit confusing, so I have passed on some internal feedback to our Product team for consideration.

I faced the same issue today and really thought it is a bug. But it turned out to be an empty search result. And my first suspect was of course privacy rules.

The wording “some value that cannot be displayed” is misguiding.

1 Like

@grottofilms @shpak.serhiy thanks for sharing your cases.

So what’s the difference then between when the debugger shows “empty” and when it shows “(some value that cannot be displayed)”?

In my case the debugger should show “empty”. It seems recently Bubble did some changes that changed this behaviour and in some cases the debugger shows “some value that cannot be displayed” instead “empty”.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your observation. I did a more profound debug trying to see if it was finding an empty field and that was the problem indeed.

Bubble, if you are reading this, PLEASE always show “empty” in the debugger when the field is empty!

(some value that cannot be displayed) is just very misguiding, as @shpak.serhiy said.

I suggest you guys to look into your data source and check if it is empty @NigelG @wegetdesign @nocodeventure @benoit.devilliers @adamhholmes @agathelecocq1 @grottofilms

Problem solved for me.

1 Like

Thanks buddy I appreciate it, will have a second look

Just sharing a fragment of the response that I got from my bug report:

“”

Additionally, for a bit of extra context, the “(some value that cannot be displayed)” phrase you saw actually isn’t an indicator of a bug. Instead, our engineering team shared that this wording was recently adopted to represent non-printable values like null/empty values in the debugger. Another detail to note is that Things (data types like User) cannot be displayed as text directly, although Thing’s fields usually can. That said, you may have also noticed the (some value that cannot be displayed) indicator in the debugger for other areas of your app which reference data type Things.

“”

1 Like

Hey Everyone!

We just pushed out some changes that make the debugger better at describing what exactly the situation is when something looks blank or invalid. It should now also display empty things as (empty) rather than (some value that cannot be displayed)

Please continue to let us know if the debugger values are confusing or misleading!

4 Likes

Thank you @alex.stanescu this is really useful - and should let us identify the issue quickly

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.