(some value that cannot be displayed)

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone come across this debug message before:

We have had it appear across a few apps, we have reported to Bubble, whom have stated that it was due to an empty search, but we checked and this was not the case, so further pursuing Bubble in this regard. But out of curiosity, is this something that has happened to any of your apps. It seems to be a temperamental issue, sometimes happening, sometimes not.

3 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ve been seeing this same thing recently in the debuggerā€¦ and havenā€™t been able to figure out what it means.

I figured it canā€™t be an empty search, as then it would surely say ā€˜emptyā€™ - but if thatā€™s what Bubble are saying then perhaps thatā€™s what it is - i.e. a search that didnā€™t find anything, but for some reason thatā€™s not being classed as empty in the debugger.

Then I thought it could be that the value is a list, and so canā€™t display it in the debugger - but I donā€™t think itā€™s that.

So I donā€™t knowā€¦

In any case the value, and subsequent workflows, were not working as expected (i.e. they were behaving as if the value was empty), so Iā€™ve had to modify my workflows accordingly.

It would be interested to hear anyone elseā€™s experiences with thisā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for messaging, as soon as we have some clarification on this, will share accordingly.

2 Likes

I think it may be related to privacy rules.
I guess you are using a WF to set the state, and a WF can ignore privacy rules. But I think that debugger will not see them because of privacy rules.

Hi, this is happening to me as well, please let us know if you find a solution. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for this suggestion, but we tested with no privacy rules enabled on this app and others. It does not seem related.

3 Likes

Yeah, same here - I had originally considered privacy rules as a cause, but in my case it wasnā€™t thatā€¦

1 Like

Same here - unfortunately consistent in those cases which cause hours of research (some kind of Murphys law interpretation, I guess :wink: ).
However, I have seen that mostly so far in those cases in which I am referencing data in a popup which comes from the screen before - if that makes sense.

1 Like

By the way: am I the only who reminds this of ā€œhe who shall not be namedā€ ?

2 Likes

Just ran into the same problem, @svenschuldt I thought of the same thing :joy: beware of this value that cannot be displayed, it can destroy your app x)

2 Likes

I donā€™t see any problem with my privacy rules. Havenā€™t found a solution yet :unamused:

Encountered the same issue, had to switch from Data Types to Option Sets to avoid this issue. Seems that hidden groups now suddenly also forget their data type attached :-1:

3 Likes

Just a quick update, Bubble are investigating this issue, and we will hopefully get to the bottom of this very soon.

1 Like

I had this issue as well. For me it was caused that Bubble duplicated a field for a data type that I was displaying. So I had 2 of the same fields for a thing and was referring to the ā€˜brokenā€™ one in my app. When I deleted that duplicated field it was solved for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Itā€™s not related to privacy, usually it would let you know if itā€™s a privacy issue with a red error message on top

1 Like

I ran into this problem with hiding/showing groups in a repeating group too

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

We initially reported examples from our existing applications, to set an example for the Bubble Team, but it seems they may have been too complex to review, and we are now creating separate simple apps just going over this step by step and hopefully Bubble can nail this particular issue.

But if you are having this issue, to help them investigate, we are kindly requesting others to do the same, highlighting when and how this occurs, and sending across a Bubble Bug report. This will help them tremendously, as this is not typical app behaviour we have come across before.

Basically Bubble support have asked us the following.

"Thank you for sharing these two videos. Do you mind sharing with me reproductions steps so that I can attempt to see this on my end? For both behaviourā€™s, if you could provide me 1) a basic description of the symptoms and 2) reproductions steps similar to how you shared the ones for this thread, that would be tremendously helpful. Once I am able to see these two behaviours on my end, I can go ahead an open up two new bug reports and organize this investigation. "

1 Like

hello,

I also have this problem, 2 days ago, it worked fine and now the data is not displayed.
I also have a problem, it might be related. I have data(geographic address) saved as custom states but i donā€™t know why it only displays the city and not the entire value (I only have Bordeaux instead of showing the entire address (wa can see it save placeholder and default value)

This is bad, still having the same error!
Please, if anyone finds a way to solve this, let us know

This sound like a very probable cause. It has happened to me many times that when I create a new data field, it gets created twice and I have to delete one.

However, in this case, I checked my data fields and I donā€™t see duplicate issues.

There is a possibility that although all our data fields have unique names, Bubble might have stored two or more of them internally with a same name or ID and thatā€™s what might be causing this error. I hope that the problem is something more simple than that.