Source Data Issues - Not pulling list

Am I setting this up wrong?
I’m trying to put together a simple profile page that displays multiple types of data related to the “client” profile page. So I set the type of content for the page to client, as shown below.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.18.20 PM

When trying to show a second data type (“obstacles”), I added a group to house the whole section, and changed the type of content to “obstacles” as shown below:

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.21.30 PM

Then I added my repeating group to display the data:

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.23.56 PM

Then I added a group to organize my data in a row.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.24.58 PM

Finally, I added my data:

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.26.12 PM
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.26.26 PM
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.26.35 PM

But when I check the debugger, It says my repeating group is not visible. But the “visible on page load” box is checked at every level.

While my evaluator does show the constraint on my search (“client”), with the testing name “New Gal” it says my list is empty, and I know it’s not.

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 10.31.21 PM

What do you guys think? Did I mess up where data is sending? Am I missing something obvious?

A few things to think about…

  1. Because of how Bubble builds and displays expressions, it’s good practice to name your datatypes in the ‘Singular’ (Obstacle, rather than Obstacles) - otherwise it gets very confusing for you or anyone else trying to decipher things (as ‘Obstacles’ is plural, but in your case it refers to a single thing, and ‘Obstacless’ is not a word in English, and is just confusing to look at).

  2. A Repeating Group is (generally) for displaying or holding a list of things… but here you’re only loading a single thing into it. So I’m not sure what you’re trying to do - or why you’re using a RG instead of a regular group, when you’re only loading a single thing into it. If you are intending for it to display a list of things, then you’ll need to load a list of things into it (rather than just a single thing as you’re currently doing).

  3. I can’t see how youre search is set up, nor your database structure - so there’s a good chance there is an error with one of those things but, assuming those are both correct, then Privacy rules could be an issue, so check those.

If I had to guess, I’d say your search/database structure is not set up correctly for this… so feel free to share some more detailed screenshots of both.

Learning so much just from reading your posts. Thank you @adamhholmes !!! I will keep you posted.

1 Like

I made my data type singular. I also changed my obstacle name, description, and photo to lists in the database. I saw they were only single-text data at first. This is where my database sits now for this data type. Hopefully, we see some progress! Thank You again @adamhholmes for your input! And to anyone else who has comment, thank you in advance!

Database view of obstacles:

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 11.02.05 AM

Privacy Rules for Obstacles:

Why is Obstacle Name a list of texts? And why is ‘Obstacle Photo’ a list of images?

And, certainly, you don’t want to use ‘Text’ for ‘Client’ and ‘Company’ (those should be objects in your database).

And that privacy rule is no good either (the message is telling you that you can’t get search access using that).

Privacy rules can only go one nested data level deep for search access.

It looks as though you need to start again with your Database Structure…

Stick to related database objects, rather than using texts.

Then you can just Use ‘Current Pages’ Client’ as the constraint on your search for Obstacles.

1 Like

So I have obstacles as a list because users’ clients may have more than one obstacle to work with. I now realize what you are saying about “Client” and “Company” being objects and not text. I was trying to associate these data types with “Obstacle” so that on the client profile page, it will display obstacles that are only related to the current page client and also the current user’s company. That way other companies and other users will all only see their own preassociated obstacles on their own client’s profile pages. Reviewing some material in the manual now to make sure I do this right. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

As far as privacy rules go, I have turned them off for now to make sure I set this up correctly, and will aproach privacy rules later with the goal of making only users of the same company to be able to view company associated clients.

It is now working perfectly! Thanks to you and some time in the manual!

1 Like