Stripe Connect - need help

Did anyone work with the Stripe Connect before? I could really use your help!

I managed to create Express accounts and give them either the Full or Recipient agreement based in their country code.

However, I’m struggling with sending Payouts to the right user. Whenever I try to do this, I get the following message (first image) while they are set to manual (second image).

Also, which Charge is recommended here? I currently use Bubble’s “charge the current user” but I’m not sure this works for sending funds to Connected Accounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Let me check I understand what you’re trying to do…

You’re trying to create a manual Payout, to pay out funds from a Connected Account’s Stripe balance to their bank account, yes? (that’s what a Payout is)…

In which case the error is clear - the Connected account doesn’t have enough funds to cover they Payout you’re trying to make.

Are you saying that you think that’s incorrect? (i.e. you think they do have enough funds?) - in which case have you confirmed that in their Stripe account?

Otherwise, just make sure you’re only paying out the funds they have available (you can always get the account balance first, then payout what’s available).

Also, which Charge is recommended here? I currently use Bubble’s “charge the current user” but I’m not sure this works for sending funds to Connected Accounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’m not sure I understand this part of the question, nor what this has to do with Payouts?

Are you asking about Charge types? (i.e. Direct or Destination charges?)

Hi @adamhholmes thanks for the reply. I’ll try to be more precise.

You’re trying to create a manual Payout, to pay out funds from a Connected Account’s Stripe balance to their bank account, yes? (that’s what a Payout is)…

→ Not exactly. I’m trying to collect all the money in the platform, and on a weekly, bi-weekly, monthly basis (set by the client) the money will be sent to the connected accounts.

The app I’m building basically consists of Students and Artists. A student can book a call with an artist, and upon booking, a transaction is made to the platform (Currently using charge the current user action from Bubble’s plugin. 2 weeks later for example, a portion of the amount charged should flow to that connected account (the artist)

I looked into Destination Charges too, but I don’t think I need to use this action as the money is sent to the connected account automatically (instead of manually through an API call on a weekly, bi-weekly,… basis)

Also, a Student can buy a “Package” deal, which gives them credits to book an Artist. So a Destination charge again is not ideal here, as the total amount of money charged with a “Package” deal is not for the Artist. It should be stored somehow in the platform, and when a credit is spent on for example another Artist, we take a portion of the money and send it to the right connected account. A student may keep his credits for a few months, but only when he uses a credit on an Artist, should we give that artist his rightfully earned portion. Or am I mistaken and I do need destination charges?

Also, I’m located in BE and the client is from the US, so we are dealing with cross-border payments for ‘payouts’. - I did figure out the Express Account with Full or Recipient agreement (based on the country code) so that’s already that.

I hope this makes more sense and you can guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

Right, ok… so that’s a ‘Transfer’ not a ‘Payout’.

So you need to be using the ‘Transfer’ API to do this.

Also, I’m located in BE and the client is from the US, so we are dealing with cross-border payments for ‘payouts’. - I did figure out the Express Account with Full or Recipient agreement (based on the country code) so that’s already that.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to transfer funds to Connected Stripe accounts in different regions from the Platform.

So you’ll probably need to look into creating a Stripe account (and possibly a bank account and registered company) that’s based in the US.

I suggest referring to the following two pages from the Stripe docs:

Creating separate charges and transfers | Stripe Documentation

Account capabilities | Stripe Documentation