What coding languages are easiest to learn after Bubble?

I’ve really enjoyed learning Bubble because I have a 10+ year background in building products as a UX person on product teams, and using no-code is my first opportunity to make something usable from scratch on my own.

I’m interested in hearing from traditional engineers what languages might be the easiest to try learning coming from a Bubble background (e.g., Python, React, PHP). I’m interested in seeing if I enjoy dev work more broadly and how I could explore that most easily.

1 Like

The most useful will be JavaScript.

5 Likes

That’s a great question, but it’s sort of complicated because it kind of depends on what you want to do. The classic answer for web development would be to learn HTML → CSS/Bootstrap/Scss → JS → PHP || NodeJS and then from there it’s really up to you (that is just an example of a path that a person might take when learning to become a web developer)

Bubble does not really translate exactly into a programming language, but it does a great job teaching about basics of data structure, organization of elements, “styles” (css styles), SEO and more (which will help you learn a lot of different languages!)

I guess I should ask you, what do you want to do exactly? Because to me the most important thing is choosing the right path that’s tailored to your interests :smiley: But then again, things don’t go as planned and you’ll probably stumble upon something you really like and stick with it!

1 Like

I’m also not a programmer and while learning Bubble, I also started to learn HTML/CSS. I think this will allow me to use Bubble better. And then maybe JS).

100% JS, and additionally learn how to operate nodeJS in a dev environment locally. Plugins written in bubble are all in nodeJS, pretty sure most plugins run on a lambda function, but I’m not positive about that one.

Download Visual Studio. Start learning C#.

Now that you know C#, start writing cross-platform apps with Xamarin (a framework available in VS).

I think I’d be interested in full-stack eng skills compared to specializing in frontend, backend, or production eng work. Like, what would expect an entry-level full-stack eng to be able to do at a big tech company? I have a lot of the soft skills, UX experience, and tech thinking but don’t know any language for actually building things.

What I’ve loved about Bubble is how quickly I can get to a usable product. When I’ve taken eng classes before, I haven’t enjoyed building basic elements from scratch (compared to learning how to find pre-built components and make them work well together). Troubleshooting is always a part of building, but I don’t like it taking forever to build the “simplest” product interactions that feel like they’ve been done millions of times before.

Try COBOL :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You could always look into wordpress as well. Probably not a popular opinion, but its very mature and alot of people really love it. You would be able to customize things alot more than you can here on bubble, with raw code that youve already learned to write a little.

At that point learning PHP would be a big asset, and PHP isnt terrible.

The “easiest” would almost definitely be Python.

The most commercially useful would be Javascript as it runs everywhere as well as helping with Bubble development. If it’s for development outside Bubble then Typescript along with a framework, I’d advise VueJS, Ionic for mobile apps, Node for the backend and Supabase as a serverless database. Why you’d want to do that though to create the same things you can create in Bubble now, I don’t know.

Also .NET Core is just about the fastest backend server runtime out there, beating Node by several orders of magnitude, so C# and .NET Core might be something to look into.

1 Like

Me from the future here: JavaScript is the answer I’d give myself now! I did JavaScript for Beginners with Codesmith and it was easier to understand than previous coding classes I’d taken because I could mentally map it to Bubble. Vice versa was also true: what I learned about JS helped me “think” more like Bubble when I need to troubleshoot something not working. JavaScipt also still tops Stack Overflow’s list of popular languages, making it good bang for your buck.

2 Likes