Converting to new engine while maintaining the old

What’s the best practice for converting to the new engine while still being able to push/update content on the old one? Once I switched to the new engine my elements were inevitably jumbled.

The most common advice I’ve seen is to rebuild from scratch which I’ve been doing, but I still need to maintain my currently live application without disrupting the layout. Should I build the app separately on another application and then copy and paste everything over once it’s finished?

1 Like

Hi there, @sydney22… you could rebuild your app in a new application, but I likely wouldn’t go that route. Instead, you could create new pages in your existing application, and you could build out those pages with the new responsive engine. In my opinion, that would be easier for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the new pages could make use of the existing data types, fields, and option sets.

Anyway, just food for thought there… hope it helps.

Best…
Mike

1 Like

Hi @sydney22,

To add to @mikeloc, I wouldn’t recommend rebuilding your app in a new app. If you’re on the Production plan, you could utilize different versions. Or else, I would recommend just blocking out some time to bunker down and transform one page at a time to new responsive. It’s a pain, but that’s what I’ve been doing for my app, I still have a few pages I need to convert :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, @mikeloc and @johnny! I figured this would be the case. Sounds like some clever version control is my best bet. Wish there was a way to branch like in Git.

Just do one page/reusable at a time…and don’t push anything live until you’ve finished that page/element.

I’m just about done on one of my apps with LOADS of pages and RE’s…big job but I updated the UX/UI at the same time and app is looking mint now :ok_hand:

I just use the ‘upgrade responsive’ button and don’t bother making a copy or keeping the responsiveness (I find Bubble adds a heap of unnecessary groups when you tick this), so both checkboxes are unticked. When I was first learning it I ticked both boxes here but don’t bother anymore. Once you learn the new engine it doesn’t take too long and you get so many gains its worth the pain of a) initial learning curve and b) putting in the time to upgrade.

3 Likes

Interesting nugget, @equibodyapp. So you adjusted existing elements on a page one by one then? I have noticed how much Bubble tries to tack on when you do the copy + keep responsiveness options. Sounds like your method is the most efficient.

Yep I just adjust existing elements - that way all my conditionals and WF stay the same, I just adjust responsive settings and away I go!

If you don’t check the responsive box then it makes all the elements ‘fixed’ but it’s not hard once you are across the new engine to know how and what you want to update in the settings.

This particular app I updated a few styles and other things in the UI at the same time and tweaked a few bits of UX but it still didn’t take too long :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly, that always made the most sense to me (keeping the conditionals and workflows constant). I was always a bit surprised at seeing suggestions where people say just rebuild everything from scratch.