Free Unlimited Video Conferencing! 🌏

I came across this cool service, and figured I’d share. While I’m building a plugin, here’s a simple way to initiate free and unlimited video conferencing.

A few cool features:

• Free
  • Unlimited
  • Chat Feature
  • Video Recording
  • Screen Share
  • Open Source

NOTE: I added a random string at the end of the meeting ID to ensure the link is unique. You might want to use this in practice if you’re using this. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Build that plugin…build that plugin…Just wanted to start a chant for the others.

9 Likes

:grin: working on it

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, which open source project is this built on? I’ve been looking at some WebRTC stuff for another project…

@nick12 :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Wow :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @vladlarin! :muscle:

How are you handling microphone / video permissions in the iframe?

@owen I didn’t do any customization here. Just took the website, created an iframe, and pasted it. The only thing I’m doing is setting the meeting link and appending a unique string to the end (to make sure random people don’t join your call :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Thanks!

That’s the only issue I had. There was an extension, but the iframe ended up not prompting Chrome for permission.

@josh10 @owen I just updated the iframe to allow the prompt in chrome for the microphone and camera. (given you have those connected)

Seems to be working now.

2 Likes

May I ask 2 questions @lantzgould :

1. Is this working through API or is it an embbed HTML?

2. Where did you get that nice join animation? I like it!

I am browsing for video chat for my bubble app and this is definitely an interesting option!

Hi @di_lucena,

1. This one is embeded HTML… You can view the editor from the top right button :slight_smile:
  2. The animation is from Lottie Files:

I have a tutorial that I’m almost complete with where it shows you how to set up your own version of this on a Digital Ocean droplet. Will post soon.

4 Likes

First of all, this is super sweet, @lantzgould. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. The timing couldn’t be better, as I have an app I plan to focus on shortly which will use this. If all goes well, I’ll set up my own Jitsi server.

Also, just wanted to point out that while the unique id is better than nothing, there is an option to password-protect each conference call. Zoom has been in the news lately as being the target of so-called “zoom-bombing” attacks where malicious types “hijack” the meeting. The way to prevent that in Zoom is to use a password (as well as leverage a feature called “waiting rooms”).

3 Likes

Hi @sudsy,

Absolutely agree on the recommendation of password protecting the conference call. This is built into Jitsi, but isn’t a default. So, upon entering a meeting, the moderator of the meeting can set a password, and provide that to the list of attending.

The tutorial video I’m almost finished with includes a how-to on the following:

• Setup Jitsi Meet on Digital Ocean
  • Remove Jitsi Watermark
  • How to redirect to your site of choice upon ending a call
  • Free SSL Certificate through LetsEncrypt
5 Likes

Hey Shot

I think the random string is also needed to avoid creating calls with the same names.
But definitelly password protection is a good idea for privacy features.
I saw the bad news about Zoom and its better to avoid such problems.

1 Like

Yeah, good point. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks a lot for this!

Let us know when that tutorial is ready so we can get into it.