How to work on someone else's Bubble app?

How do you work with clients on their apps? What are some of the best practices?

I need to start doing agency work but I never worked on someone else’s app. Do you have any resources / tips?

1 Like

Hey there @rico.trevisan,

Using AirTable or some tool for your client to comment and give feedback based on a screenshot is usually helpful

Apologies, I wasn’t specific enough. I’m more interested on how you work in Bubble with a client. It’s just a simple as adding me as a collaborator? What if you mess up, just rely on the save points? Do you have a process that you use for that?

Hey @rico.trevisan,
There may be specific options for an agency, but as I understand it, for an app to have additional collaborators, it needs to be on a higher-level paid plan, at which point the app owner can invite other users to collaborate.

1 Like

Personally, I’ve found the multiple dev version feature that Bubble provides for this purpose to be not quite ready for prime time, and as you can see from that thread, I’m not the only one.

Frequent and well-named save points and deployments are important, in my view.

I, too, would be interested in hearing from agencies about how they manage multiple developers working on the same app, as my experience was far less than ideal.

-Steve

2 Likes

@rico.trevisan

Some comments in this thread have complementary information about agency plans

1 Like

Hey @rico.trevisan :wave:

Here are some tips for you. These help me when working with clients.

First, if you are a registered agency with Bubble, the client doesn’t need to pay for a higher plan. It doesn’t count you as a collaborator if you are an Agency. :+1:

Other points that might help you to ensure you don’t mess up their project. Definitely have a save point from when you start working on the project for the day. Otherwise, you can always go back by the specific time.

Something else that I sometimes do… if it’s a large redesign of a page, duplicate the page and then work on the original. That way, if something breaks, you can look back at the copy to see what was working before. Once you have the page fully functional, and the client accepts it, then you can remove the copy. The client will put more trust when they see you actually didn’t just delete their page that they worked so hard on. Even better, let them decide when to delete the page.

When changing database information… If you want to delete a data field on a data type, just add Deprecated to the beginning. Later on, you can delete it once you make sure it’s not being used anywhere important. Also, you can do a search to find where the field is being used.

The debugger, inspect tool, and the editor search is your friend when learning how someone else’s app works. Learn these well, if you don’t know how to use them already, and they will become your best friend.

Make note of what you are changing and keep track of them. Label each set of changes as you push them to live with something like Version 1.0.0, Version 1.0.1 and etc. Then you can look back and see what you changed for each version. This will be helpful for the client too. This shows the progress you are making as well. Try to label things clearly and leave notes when you feel that it would add value. Especially if they will be taking over the project when you are done.

Test things well, be organized, and make sure their app is secure.

Hope that helps a bit! :blush:

@j805 www.NoCodeMinute.com

For All Your No-Code Education Needs:

4 Likes