For years, instant search in Bubble has been a thorn. The official Algolia integration doesn’t preserve privacy rules, sorting results alphabetically is a pain, and sorting by options is impossible. The Algolia plugins suffer in similar ways and that’s all in addition to the cost of Algolia itself - which gets pricey. On the other side of the cost spectrum, free solutions like the fuzzy search plugin are one of the surest ways to lock a page searching 2,000 records (while now burning workload units).
Crafted from the scorched crucible of this pain and suffering, today I’m launching what I have designed and hope to be the most powerful yet cost effective search plugin for Bubblers: Scious Search (that’s “sci” like science and “us” like you and I ). Despite the name, it’s more like multiple plugins in one - allowing developers to quickly add Algolia, Typesense, and [future] alternative search providers to Bubble apps. As a deep integration, we’ve made this in a way that:
- Preserves privacy settings across all data types.
- Does not degrade or slow down as your database grows to millions of records.
- Returns an actual bubble thing, which can be used like any native bubble data type within the editor.
- Works with live, test, and other versions of your app so you can test integrations before going live.
- Can save you money.
- Quite a bit more.
While the Algolia integration we provide is - we think - objectively better than available alternatives, the money saved by switching from Algolia to Typesense using our plugin can be substantial, with some of our users on track to save hundreds of dollars a year even after including our plugin’s annual cost. If you are a current Algolia user and are curious about saving money on your monthly search bill, check out our savings calculator here.
And speaking of costs, while I did not anticipate this, it turns out this plugin drastically reduces the number of Workload Units (WU) needed to perform instant searches (versus Bubble’s native “Do a search for” ability). Details in the comment below.
Our plugin comes with:
- A 10 day free trial. Enough time to try out search providers before having to commit.
- App transferability. While our plugin can only be used by one Bubble app at a time, unlike regular plugins, a subscription to ours can be switched to other apps. So if you scrap an MVP and start another, you can reinstall our plugin at no added cost.
- Hands on support. Our annual subscription includes a half hour one-on-one support session for answering any integration questions.
Scious Search is available in “restricted-beta” starting today. Over the next three to four weeks we’ll accept and help 10 early adopters get setup. Then formally launch to the Bubble marketplace. Please DM me if interested in being part of the beta.