PO Automation Using Google Docs (Sample Prototype)

I haven’t seen much if any discussion about using Bubble to autopopulate template documents in Google docs so I thought it would be interesting to create a very simple prototype for purchase orders: https://autodocuments.bubbleapps.io/

It uses Zapier’s ability to populate templates in Google docs to create a new doc every time there’s a proper trigger (see How to create and autopopulate a Google Docs template | Zapier).

In this case, the trigger is a Bubble workflow that calls a webhook using the Bubble-Zapier plugin and the Bubble-Zaper trigger (see Login | Zapier )

So when you enter the fields in my Bubble app:

You will send data to the relevant purchase order template in Google docs that will populate the appropriate variables:

It sends the documents to a folder in my Gdrive that I made public and viewable if you click the View Past Orders button (listed by purchase order number):

By adding the radio button, I also embedded business and legal logic into the app for international purchase orders, which uses the appropriate form with a legally required data point (again, this is just a prototype) for international shipments:

This is done by using a separate template for international orders in G docs associated with a different Bubble workflow and different zap and webhook set up in Zapier.

A wide variety of other legal and business requirements and features could also be added, from choosing what forum to arbitrate disputes to who bears the risk of loss during shipment.

7 Likes

Hi @hshadab,

Do you by any chance know if there is a way to dynamically add multiple rows to a table in a doc created from a template, without of course knowing beforehand how many rows there might be? So in your example, if a PO had multiple ‘Goods’, could they go on separate rows?

Edit: Thanks for sharing by the way. This is something that I may need to implement in the near future.

1 Like

Great!

I don’t know off hand but I will give it some thought. This functionality may be possible using Zapier’s Google Docs zap.

1 Like

I am trying to determine if it would be better to integrate through Zapier or direct with the API Connector.

If anyone’s got an opinion…

Excellent @hshadab , is this possible to see your implementation backend ?

I guess you are limited by the number of text fields offered by the zapier plugin ?

That’s correct. Sure, let me know what you’d like to see.

If it’s just the Zapier plugin with limited text field I think I’m good :smiley:

I wondered if you found a way to have more merge fields…

Have an editor link by any chance?

Here is the link. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!